Zombie / Skill Drain

Discussion in 'Advanced Format Decks (YGO)' started by John Danker, Jun 26, 2006.

1. John Danker

John Danker Administrator

My abilities as a player vary greatly depending on how much I play and how much I judge. As of late (the last 4-6 months) I've had the chance to play more than at any other point since I began in the game about 4 1/2 years ago.

I usually considered myself to be a good deck builder, probably a better deck builder than a player....though a bit unorthadox. I've never been a patient man though (something I strive constantly to work on though) and I sometimes beat myself for that very reason. It only stands to reason then that I like to swing hard as soon as possible, I liked Zombies from the get go for this reason. So much tech. has come about since Zombies were introduced though....although they're a good deck as a pure deck, they seemed to need help.

I put together this deck last Friday night an hour before the tournament and modifided it after that tournament slightly....it won the local tournaments Friday and Sun. evenings.

At first glance this deck may look like it has too many heavy hitters. Don't let it fool you. This deck works fast. With Card Destruction and Graceful Chairty (and Morphing Jar Side decked) It has the option of getting rid of the current hand (if you've pulled two Ryu Kokki's from the get go...or a Kokki and a Goldd) only to retrieve them later with Book Of Life, Call, Premature Burial.

Giant Rat, Mystic Tomato, and Pyramid Turtle maintain field presence while the the heavy hitters clobber most everything in sight.....and aren't afraid of D.D. Warrior Lady, Spirit Reaper, D.D. Assialant, etc. with Skill Drain negating effects.

The combination Skill Drain and Big Shield Gardna have been a thorn in my opponent's side many a time so far.

Deck Devastation Virus has plenty of fodder and quickly with Ryu Kokki appearing again and again and again.

Pot Of Avarice keeps the Pyramid Turtle / Ryu Kokki combination happening more times than your opponent wants to see while giving your extra cards.

I have the option in the side deck of coming out of a Skill Drain mode without compremising my deck at all.

You'll notice that the deck only runs one Spirit Reaper and Breaker is side decked. These two monsters, while great, don't do a lot of good combined with Skill Drain, still, one copy of Spirit Reaper is sure nice to have as an opener or if Skill Drain is gone later in the match to be brought out or back with Book Of Life. That one copy of Spirit Reaper is the only monster that Skill Drain has a bad effect on in the deck.

It's been an extremely successful deck for me in a very short time. I'm sure as I refine it and adjust the side deck (I seem to always be too monster heavy in my side deck, I likely need to adjust it a bit more for agaist a deck running Royal Decrees) It will become even more consistant.

Your suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Monsters: 19
    3x Ryu Kokki
    1x Majestic Mech – Ohka
    2x Cyber Dragon
    1x Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World
    3x Pyramid Turtle
    1x Mystic Tomato
    2x Newdoria
    1x Big Shield Gardna
    1x Spirit Reaper
    1x Exiled Force
    2x Giant Rat
    1x Sangan

Spell Cards: 14
    1x Snatch Steal
    1x Heavy Storm
    1x Mystical Space Typhoon
    1x Card Destruction
    1x Nobleman Of Crossout
    1x Premature Burial
    1x Graceful Charity
    1x Last Will
    1x Creature Swap
    1x Fissure
    1x Smashing Ground
    2x Book Of Life
    1x Pot Of Avarice

Trap Cards: 8
    2x Skill Drain
    1x Deck Devastation Virus
    1x Torrential Tribute
    1x Call Of The Haunted
    2x Dust Tornado
    1x Mirror Force

Side Deck: 15
    2x Waboku
    1x Creature Swap
    1x Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World
    1x Magician Of Faith
    1x Treeborn Frog
    1x Dark Dust Spirit
    1x Deck Devastation Virus
    1x Breaker The Magical Warrior
    1x Morphing Jar
    1x Scapegoat
    1x Spirit Reaper
    1x Mask Of Darkness
    1x Scapegoat
    1x Ceasefire
  2. John Danker

*Edited with updates to side deck including Dark Dust Spirit, Treeborn Frog, and Ceasefire*

I know people need to be patient for replys to decks....but nothing? I thought this to not be an "original" deck but certainly an unusual one with a number of themes and tech. cards that work welll together....nothing?
  3. Dillie-O

Dillie-O Council of Heroes

Greets John! Its always nice to see some "unorthodox" deck building. It makes me feel somewhat normal.

Have you thought about a Fake Trap in the Skill Drain build? That little dude is the bane of many a spell/trap removal, not to mention the fact it can save your entire trap lineup against a Storm. I haven't done a full build yet, but I always like Cat of Ill Omen to search for the Drain searcher, since that is what really gets things moving.

Other than that the monster lineup is really solid I'd say downright fiendish! 8^D
  4. John Danker

Thanks for the comments Dillie-O
    Yes I have thought about Fake Trap...I'm battling it for two reasons, first people (at least in my local meta) have seemed to be on a swing toward less S/T removal. Pretty much all they're playing is MST / Heavy / Breaker. Skill Drain negates Breaker and Mobius if they're playing it so I'm not too worred about those which would normally be a pain for continuous traps. I like to try and bait out their MST or Heavy Storm with Dust Tornado / DDV only to chain them before I set Skill Drain.

The second reason is that I just can't seem to find room in my deck for Fake Trap. I suppose I could pull a copy of Dust Tornado but they come in so handy for it's second effect letting me set DDV or Skill Drain (sometimes leaving only Goldd in my hand as my opponent's Spirit Reaper attacks) My other option is pulling Nobleman Of Crossout since I negate a good portion of flip effects with Skill Drain.....I appreciate the suggestions, I may very well play around with a copy and see how it pans out.
  5. Dillie-O

Dillie-O Council of Heroes

Word, I'll keep peeking and see if anything else comes to mind.
  6. AtrusOfKrondor

AtrusOfKrondor New Member

Nice build, John- The deck looks really solid-- I like your choice of a 1-1 Fissure-Smashing split. Nothing to really fix, it looks good.
  7. DarkMagicUser

DarkMagicUser New Member

Nicely done, I agree not much to be fixed here. Great build!
  8. cuzwbd

cuzwbd New Member

rfdd is so prevalant now - i have been having great success with kycoo & soul release setting up my 2 copies of bait doll....i can pretty reliably goad opponents into setting rfdd and cost them 1/2 their life points and ending my turn only to watch all those monsters be removed again! (snicker & cackle)
    but looking at this deck - i dont really see a place for that little bit of tech...siggh - nice job!

would you have any thoughts as to whether d d guide will combo with big burn?? i gave up my bb when pot of avarice was restricted to 1 ... and i'm looking to further bait vs rfdd matchups....
  9. cuzwbd

cuzwbd New Member

this deck does special summon very well...maybe side 2x mask of restrict.....
  10. John Danker

If I were to use another piece of S/T removal, now that you mention it, Bait Doll would likely be a fine choice in this deck since I don't uses copies of Sakuretsu Armor, BTH, or Rfdd. <pondering that one> A very nice thought, thankyou for the idea, might have to give a copy a whirl.

The only problem I see with D.D. Guide, at least in today's meta...is you're likely only to be giving your opponent fodder for Zaborg or Cyber Dragon Tribute. IMO unless you're using Ameba (another of my favorite decks I'll post next week) giving your opponent's monsters isn't usually a good idea...even if they have and adverse effect.
  11. cuzwbd

cuzwbd New Member

i guess you're right... sigh - i've won several games when an opponent has given me lava golem and i have tsuki or a monarch burning a hole in my hand....thanks for the input...