Chaining to Effect Activations of Continuous Spell/Trap cards....

Discussion in 'Rules Questions (YGO)' started by Tkwiget, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Tkwiget

Tkwiget Da Twiggy Man!

I understand that you can chain to the effect of some Continuous Spell/Trap card effects. Such as [ycard="SOD-EN043"]Ectoplasmer[/ycard] and [ycard="IOC-035"]Stumbling[/ycard].

So I was wondering exactly why can't you chain [ycard="SOD-EN057"]Null and Void[/ycard] to [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard]. Is this because [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard]'s effect is continuous like its' card type? Constantly looking for the opponent to draw outside of his/her Draw Phase?

However, the same argument can be made for [ycard="IOC-035"]Stumbling[/ycard] as well. It's constantly looking for a monster that a player summons to change to defense position.

So why can't you chain [ycard="SOD-EN057"]Null and Void[/ycard] to [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard]?

[ycard="SOD-EN057"]Null and Void[/ycard]'s first ruling says you can only chain it to an effect that draws and nothing else. Doesn't [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard] draw and do nothing else? However, you still can't chain it to [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard].

Let's just start with that because I don't understand why you can't chain [ycard="SOD-EN057"]Null and Void[/ycard] to Appropiate since Appropiate draws cards and only draws cards.
  2. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Because Konami Said So?....lol.
  3. Jason_C

Jason_C Banned

Seconded.

I concluded long ago to not lose sleep over [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard]. Its rulings don't make sense. Period.
  4. slither

slither Alex (1981 - 2008)<br />Slithery When Wet

Thirded <is this even a word>

But before even getting into [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard] we have to get passed that BKSS [ycard="SOD-EN057"]Null and Void[/ycard] can be activated in the Damage Step :p
  5. Tkwiget

Tkwiget Da Twiggy Man!

<laughs> Well at least try and figure out why they ruled like that. Some of those, "Because Konami Said So." reasons I've actually proved with mechanics on WHY they are the way they are.

I'm thinking Appropiate's effect functions very similar to how [ycard="AST-092"]Level Limit - Area B[/ycard] and [ycard="DCR-045"]Final Attack Orders[/ycard] works. They don't have effect activations from what I can tell and Appropiate doesn't have the "As long as this card..blah blah blah..." line of text, but we know just from the nature of Continuous Spell/Trap cards that they don't work unless they remain face up on the field.

So is the reason why [ycard="SOD-EN057"]Null and Void[/ycard] can't chain to Appropiate is because Appropiate doesn't use the chain block like other Continuous Spell/Trap cards????

@_@ I'm so confused here.
  6. Digital Jedi

Digital Jedi Administrator Staff Member

Fourthded. :bkss_jedi

Sorry, I don't even pretend to understand [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard]. Perhaps there is a mechanical implication in the original Japanese text. but as you all know, I'm not fond of making assumptions from that text either.

EDIT: I'm the big grinning guy with the sign. TK is the dissapointed one beside me. :biggrin_j
  7. novastar

novastar New Member

Well the entire game is a BKSS, they created it.

It's not an inconsistancy at all, they just decided to make some Continuous Effects event/existance driven that "appear" to be trigger-like but do not create chain links.

You could call them (which many have in the past) Continuous/Trigger type effects.

They are event driven (Trigger-like), but do not use the Chain Block (Continuous-like).
  8. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Would "[ycard="PSV-EN025"]Forced Requisition[/ycard]" be one of those 'hybrid' cards?
  9. novastar

novastar New Member

Yes, it is the opposite of [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard], they are brother/sister effects.
  10. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Ok, good, that's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.