1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did it attack?

Discussion in 'Rules Questions (YGO)' started by skey23, Mar 7, 2006.

1. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Ok, this came up last night and I was perplexed by it.

P1 has "[ycard="TP7-EN006"]Goblin Attack Force[/ycard]" face-up on the field.
    P2 has a set "[ycard="PGD-106"]Nightmare Wheel[/ycard]" from a previous turn.
    P1 declares their attack with "[ycard="TP7-EN006"]Goblin Attack Force[/ycard]".
    P2 responds with "[ycard="PGD-106"]Nightmare Wheel[/ycard]" which stops the attack.

Will "[ycard="TP7-EN006"]Goblin Attack Force[/ycard]" still switch to Defense Position at the end of the Battle Phase?

Thanks.
  2. novastar

novastar New Member

No, this is similar to the [ycard="PSV-EN073"]Gravity Bind[/ycard] scenario, [ycard="PGD-106"]Nightmare Wheel[/ycard] is effectively negating the attack.

In order for GAF to switch, the declaration must successfully occur (basically enter the Damage Step), which it did not in this case.
  3. anthonyj

anthonyj New Member

No, Damage Calculation would be required in order for GAF to have attacked that didn't happen.

[Re: [ycard="YSD-EN040"]Magic Cylinder[/ycard]] If the attack of "[ycard="TP7-EN006"]Goblin Attack Force[/ycard]" or "[ycard="YSD-EN015"]Spear Dragon[/ycard]" is negated by the effect of "[ycard="YSD-EN040"]Magic Cylinder[/ycard]", they will not be changed to Defense Position, since Damage Calculation never occurred.
  4. Chillout1984

Chillout1984 New Member

No, because there hasn't been a damage calculation.
  5. novastar

novastar New Member

I don't believe that actual DC has to occur as the ruling suggests, that would be "battle" ...you simply must have a successful declaration.

If you did enter the Damage Step, and something were to magically stop DC from occuring, but not destroy the monsters, i believe it would still be switched.

The wording in the ruling seems dated to me. Of course it could be GAF's wording that is off.
  6. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Ok, I understand that the term 'battle' is now defined as entering the Damage Step.

But the term 'attack' just doesn't seem to be the same as 'battle'.

My attack declaration was successful. My monster began it's attack. The attack was not 'negated'. The attack was simply stopped, there is a difference.
  7. novastar

novastar New Member

The term "battles" is refering specifically to Damage Calculation.

An effect that relies on the "attacks" term generally means it occurs after a successful Attack Declaration.
  8. novastar

novastar New Member

No it wasn't... you must enter the Damage Step for the declaration to be successful, same as it is for a summon.
  9. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Oops..duh..that's what I meant to say...lol. Damage Calculation, not Damage Step...lol. Thanks.

Ok, so an attack declaration is not considered 'successful' until the Damage Step has been reached...got it.

Well, it looks like I was wrong on this one..lol.
  10. novastar

novastar New Member

Well the same thing occurs with a replay, GAF is not switched.

You declare and attempt, and then the opponent has a chance to respond and negate (or what have you).

I will say this though, the lines are still blurred here, the terms are not clearly defined, i'm just making generalizations here.

The card like [ycard="PGD-076"]Spirit Reaper[/ycard] for instance, throws a monkey wrench into it.

'Attacks" is an entering of the Damage Step, but "successfully attacks" is an actually completion of DC and LP damage being inflicted. Of course the term "attacks" in that text could be due to the fact that an actual Direct Attack is kind of a special declaration... meh... weird.
  11. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Well, a replay is different because the game actually 'rewinds' back to the point BEFORE "[ycard="TP7-EN006"]Goblin Attack Force[/ycard]" attacked initially. In essence, it hasn't attacked yet so it won't be switched at the end of the Battle Phase if the controller chooses not to attack again with it.
  12. novastar

novastar New Member

They are all effectively doing the same thing, stopping the declaration, do realize that there are slight differences yes.

And even though the name suggests so, a "Replay" is not a total "rewind" it actually more like a removal of the declaration, since you still resolve outstanding effects.
  13. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Correct...correct.