1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Jedi's Erratas That Make Sense

Discussion in 'Create-A-Card (YGO)' started by Digital Jedi, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Digital Jedi

Digital Jedi Administrator Staff Member

Essentially, a thread that I've moved from the Realms, this thread will be formatted a little differently. The previous one solicited everyone’s suggestions and presented it as a challenge, allowing players a long felt need to vent some of their distaste for rulings that make no sense or Game Mechanics that felt vague and were difficult to explain. This time, however, as the opportunity arises, I will present my own personalized erratas for cards in desperate need of one. In addition, I'll present Game Mechanic "labels" similar to ones found in other TCG like Magic: TG and The VS. System.

Here's a collection of erratas I've saved to date:

One confusing phrase that has seen numerous threads in this forum and others is the phrase: “This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except by . . . “ So I suggested we replace it with one phrase:

NOMI:

Therfore we would have the following:
    Ascended Trunks and DMKnight helped me out with another phrase that's a little overused: "If this card attacks with an ATK that is higher than the DEF of your opponent's Defense Position monster, inflict the difference as Battle Damage to your opponent's Life Points." So Ascended Trunks suggested:

Overkill. EDIT: This term has been since been changed to Impale courtesy a suggestion by DaGuyWitBluGlasses.

When ever a counter was definitively not a Spell Counter I felt it should say so. Also to help clarify this particular card's rulings:
    This one was personal. I still dont understand why it works the way it does. It just does. So:
    Heres something JDOS suggested that I thought was a great idea:
    And here are the most recent additions to the list:
  2. Spike Kaiba

Spike Kaiba New Member

erm...about the whole effect thign (as you say, quoted by JDOS), Konami and UDE don't take us for total idiots, and believe we are smart enough to actually figure out the effect type (I'll admit some are confusing)...but yeah
  3. Digital Jedi

Of course, much of the game can be interepted by simple deductive [ycard="PGD-081"]Reasoning[/ycard]. That said, much of the game prompts analization that requires Sherlock Holmes-like powers of deduction just to come to a logical conclusion. We just want to simplify things for the greater good.
  4. Xeno

Xeno Gold Member

If you control a monster, doesn't that mean it's not on your opponent's side of the field?

On whole, there were some good points in your thread, but for the most part I agree with Spike. Most people aren't complete morons and can figure it out as it is. Also there is a standard way UDE/Konami explain how a card works, and once you get used to it, it's pretty obvious most the time.
  5. Digital Jedi

Xeno, I agree that a lot of things can be deduced if you just think about it. However as long as [ycard="SDJ-046"]Waboku[/ycard] has been around (and explained) I consistantly see people saying that the monster still dies from the attack. That paticular errata was formated to clarify that niether you nor your monsters take Battle Damage (or rather, take Battle Damage of 0 points)

[ycard="SDK-050"]Ultimate Offering[/ycard] cannot be deduced by the card text. Niether can [ycard="PSV-EN076"]The Legendary Fisherman[/ycard] nor [ycard="DR1-EN171"]Guardian Kay'est[/ycard]. Nomi monsters have not the clearest card text in the world, especially to new players (but even some of the old.) We're at a distinct advantage here on IGCF because we are constantly discussing how the game is played and recieving updates and explanations, no matter how quesstionable, on various rulings. But where do the new and young players without internet access go to "deduce" these rulings or card effects. It would be nice if the card effects just said what they meant.

If there wasn't any confusion on matters like these the Rules and Regulations Forum wouldn't be lit up like a Christmas Tree with the same questions over and over again.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is that the card texts should say what they mean and mean what they say. And not say one thing and mean what Konami says.
  6. jdos

jdos Guest

I agree with Spike and Xeno, that MOST cards and effects can be figured out without expending too much brainpower. My question to you then would be, why do we need to expend even that much? Why shouldn't the effect type be spelled out for everyone? That's just good tidy documentation.

This would cause all arguments related to effect types to cease without having to rely on judges and Netrepâ„¢s to clear up every little piece of minutiae. Then they can actually focus on the difficult answers instead of repeating over and over again with every new generation of duelists that, yes, Jowgen has 2 different effects, and no, one does not depend upon the other....and on and on and on.

I write a lot of end user documentation in my professional life, and I can tell you that the more sussinctly you spell something out to people, the better off you will be in the long run. The more you leave open to interpretation, the more interpretations will arise. Even ones you would never have thought up yourself.

Clarity is a phenominal tool.
  7. jpnuar1

jpnuar1 GreenPhantom Duelist

Fair enough. But if we teach new duelists that the effects of all cards are exactly as written, then what will we do when they start taking the effects of older cards seriously?

Especially cards that have errata due to total misprints (as opposed to erratas that simply clarify cards, like [ycard="SKE-045"]Dust Tornado[/ycard]). Like [ycard="MFC-060"]Amazoness Fighter[/ycard], [ycard="SDK-050"]Ultimate Offering[/ycard], (working in the opponents battle phase,) cards like [ycard="LON-EN023"]Tornado Wall[/ycard], and [ycard="DB1-EN173"]Attack and Receive[/ycard], (only working with battle damage,) the errata'd name of After Genocide (now [ycard="LOD-EN086"]After the Struggle[/ycard]), and I think that now even the name of one of the sets has been changed from Magic Rulers to Spell Rulers? (I never was aware of that, until I suddenly noticed that people were referring to cards from "spell rulers". It took me awhile to realize why.)

I admit that effects written more clearly would have helped immensely, had it started earlier, but I would imagine that it would be pretty difficult now to make the transition smoothly. If it ever happens, maybe I'll go to a low level tournament, and bring my 1st edition [ycard="BPT-004"]Lord of D.[/ycard], just to see the look on everyone's faces when they encounter its "original" effect.:D
  8. Digital Jedi

Admitedly, it would not be smooth process. But it may go to show that effects should be clear when they are first printed.

The goal, however, is to make certain that they don't continue to print erroneous card texts. If thet continue on this trend the hodgepodge of a mess would get even worse then if they tried to correct themselves.
  9. jpnuar1

Yeah, that's true, I was just presenting the flip side of the coin (and also wanted to mention the fun of showing newbies one of the earliest cards...:p)

What bugs me most are cards that require a cost of discarding cards (or RFP cards), and on way too many cards of that nature, the card says any type of card can be used, but the errata says that it has to be a specific type (monster, or spell, for most cards I think). It bugs me, because its too difficult to memorize each of those cards and their errata...
  10. Maruno

Maruno Council of Heroes Staff Member

...hence the very handy inventions known as the computer and the printer.
  11. jpnuar1

My point being that if it only happened on a few cards, it would be understandable. But when it gets to be of a volume so large that all erratas must be printed, so as to have hard copies of all rulings, its gotten way out of hand.
  12. Duelist 316

Duelist 316 The Game

Most people refer to it as "Trample," from the Magic ability that essentially does the same thing.
  13. somewan

somewan Custom User Title

Never thought I would ever quote a tip card, but...

Tip Card #44 of 50 (Dark Revelation)

Piercing Battle Damage

"Mefist the Infernal General" has an effect that inflicts Battle Damage to the opponent when he battles with a Defense Position monster and his ATK is higher than the defending monster's DEF.

"Big Bang Shot" is an Equip Spell Card that gives the same effect of "Piercing Battle Damage" to any monster equipped with it. But remember that putting a "Big Bang Shot" on "Mefist the Infernal General" will not make the opponent take double the damage, since Battle Damage is only inflicted one time per battle.

It's called "Piercing Battle Damage". Wow, practical application of a tip card...of course, there was not Mefist or Big Bang in the pack the tip card came in...go figure.
  14. Digital Jedi

And originally that's the phrase I used, not realizing it was already in use by another card game. Here are the original posts on the subject. I thought it was quite funny:

15. jpnuar1

Wait, who's penetrating the [ycard="MFC-062"]Amazoness Blowpiper[/ycard]? I'm jealous... (or is it envious? I always get those two words mixed up...)
  16. exiledforcefreak

exiledforcefreak RIP Jacob KT 2/16/06

Both of [ycard="SYE-024"]Black Luster Soldier[/ycard]'s effects are ignition, people just don't know how to use [ycard="SYE-024"]Black Luster Soldier[/ycard].

Also, you should use trample instead of overkill.

use the term "loyalty" for [ycard="DCR-022"]Blindly Loyal Goblin[/ycard] and [ycard="IOC-086"]Mataza the Zapper[/ycard].

you should use the term "exaust" for monsters that switch into defense after an attack. cards like GAF and [ycard="DR1-EN067"]Giant Orc[/ycard] would say "you may not change the battle position of this monster the turn after it has attacked"
  17. jdos

jdos Guest

And that, right there, is exactly why it would be helpful if Konami spelled out the type of effect right on the card. Even the effects on the (arguably) most used card in the game are in question. Some say Optional Trigger, some say Ignition. I'd say "point proven". lol. :D
  18. Digital Jedi

Well, as was pointed out to me, we can't use terms already in use by another game. The already made YGO stop using the word "Magic", how much more trouble we would they be in if they started using Wizards of the Coast's Vs and Magic: TG game terminology. What I'm hoping we can do here is create Game Terminology that could be practically used
  19. DaGuyWitBluGlasses

DaGuyWitBluGlasses New Member

I like "Impale" ([ycard="LOD-EN035"]Spear Dragon[/ycard], [ycard="PGD-062"]Gravekeeper's Spear Soldier[/ycard], [ycard="DB1-EN201"]Mad Sword Beast[/ycard]'s Horn)
  20. OKShadow

OKShadow OKC's Dark Duelist

Actually the VS system games (Marvel/DC) are by Upper Deck so I don't think UDE would sue itself over terminology.

Here's one: Hibernate. Term for creatures that can flip themselves face down lol.