1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double "Snatch Steal" question.

Discussion in 'Rules Questions (YGO)' started by skey23, Apr 20, 2006.

1. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Ok, here's the scenario....

P1 has "[ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]" face-up on the field, and a "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" in hand.
    P2 has no monster and "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" in hand.
    P2 activates "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" taking P1s "[ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]".
    P1 does not respond.
    P2 does not respond.
    P2 now has control of "[ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]".
    P2 Ends turn.
    P1 Draws a useless card.
    P1 gains 1000 LPs.
    P1 plays their "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]".
    P2 does not respond.
    P1 does not respond.
    P1 now has control of "[ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]".
    P1 ends turn.
    P2 Draws "[ycard="SD6-EN023"]Heavy Storm[/ycard]".
    P2 gains 1000 LPs.
    P2 plays "[ycard="SD6-EN023"]Heavy Storm[/ycard]".

What happens to "[ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]"? Where does it end up?
  2. Tkwiget

Tkwiget Da Twiggy Man!

Who ever the owner of [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] is, that's the field [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] goes to. If [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] is already on the field of the owner, then [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] remains on that side of the field.
  3. Dillie-O

Dillie-O Council of Heroes

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Snatches don't really change who the owner is of the card, just the controller, and since are getting nuked simultaneously, then all [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] could do would be to go back to the owner.
  4. squid

squid removed from play

or you could complicate it needlessly by saying that since both effects are terminated at the same moment, you could put them on a SEGOC, where the turn player, P2 has their [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] as link 1, and P1 (the original owner of [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]) has their [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] as link 2. So that when it all finishes, P1's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] has its effect terminated sending it to P2's side, then P2's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] has its effect terminated sending it back to P1's side.

*munches on peanut butter and jelly sandwich*

*Points to Tkwiget*
    what he said
  5. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

So you don't think it would go to P2, then back to P1?

You think it would just stay where it is? w/o moving at all?
  6. Dillie-O

Dillie-O Council of Heroes

No, the SEGOC thing wouldn't be [ycard="PSV-EN024"]Appropriate[/ycard]. In this case, both cards are destroyed simultaneously, so you have to resolve it accordingly.

Its kinda like if you [ycard="DB1-EN113"]Dark Hole[/ycard] with [ycard="SRL-EN078"]Banisher of the Light[/ycard] on the field. You don't get to SEGOC which order the mosnters are destroyed, leaving Banisher cleverly last so that the monsters are RFPd, they are just all nuked at once in a vast flash of glory and you play accordingly.
  7. Tkwiget

Tkwiget Da Twiggy Man!

It's more like [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] won't affect anything if it isn't face up on the field. So having the monster go from one side of the field to the next wouldn't make any sense because there isn't any effect that's allowing that to happen. The control switch only happens after [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] activates and resolves and when [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] is destroyed or other wise removed from the field.

Both [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] are destroyed at the same time. So no field flopping for [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard].

It would be a little different if each [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] were being destroyed individually in a chain block.

P1 activates [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] to take back control of [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]. He activates his face down [ycard="SD2-EN024"]Dust Tornado[/ycard] and targets P2's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]. P2 chains with his face down [ycard="SD4-EN016"]Mystical Space Typhoon[/ycard] and targets P1's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard].

[ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] would flip flop on both sides of the field during this chain block until she stops moving and returns back to P1's field.
  8. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Ok, so when P1's "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" is destroyed it won't try to return the card to the previous controller? Why not?
  9. Tkwiget

Tkwiget Da Twiggy Man!

Because P2's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] isn't face up on the field and no effect is drawing [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] to P2's field because of that.
  10. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

But "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" doesn't know that, the only thing it knows is that it took a monster from the opponent. By your logic, 'a' monster taken by "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" would never return to the previous controller when "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" is destroyed because there is no effect that is bringing it back.
  11. squid

squid removed from play

I can see why you ask this, skey. Its like assuming that a timestamping of the last activated [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] would take precedence, returning the monster to the side of the field from which the last [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] had taken it from. That would mean that it went to P2's side.

But I guess that's only useful, IF the timestamping thing applies. But what do I know *looks at my first answer and shakes head, then returns to eating sandwich*
  12. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

That's one heck of a big PB&J sandwich! If you're still munching on it after 30 mins!
  13. Tkwiget

Tkwiget Da Twiggy Man!

It isn't my logic, it's how [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] functions.

A monster equipped with 2 [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] will only field hop when both [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] are destroyed at completely seperate times. Whether that be in a chain block or in seperate chain blocks. Doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter who activated their [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] first in your scenario. [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] will remain on P1's side after both [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] are destroyed at the same time.

P2's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] is taking control of [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]. P1's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] is re-controlling the [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard]. P1's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] doesn't even matter. P2's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] does. If it's destroyed at the same time as P1's [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard], you don't flip flop [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] around on the field.

I see what you're getting at and it only works in situations where both [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] are destroyed in a chain block in seperate chain links or in seperate chain blocks.
  14. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Where does the equipped monster go when "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" is destroyed? Back where it came from, unless permanent control was switched AFTER the monster was equipped with "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]".

Isn't THAT how "[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]" functions?..lol.
  15. slither

slither Alex (1981 - 2008)<br />Slithery When Wet

The thing is this, both [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]'s look for where the monster was taken from before being used... since there are 2 [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]s with the same "problem", it will end up on the original owner's field.
  16. Tkwiget

Tkwiget Da Twiggy Man!

[ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] only has two effects. Monster control and life point gain. It has no effect after it's removed from the field. By default the monster [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] targets will return to the field it was originally on.

There isn't any field hoping because of the fact both [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] are destroyed at the same time. [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard] has no resolving effect after it's removed from the field and is no longer targeting the monster.

So in your scenario, [ycard="DB2-EN094"]Gemini Elf[/ycard] will not field hop. It will remain on P1's field after [ycard="SD6-EN023"]Heavy Storm[/ycard] resolves.

Not like my opinion matters much now days. =/
  17. Digital Jedi

Digital Jedi Administrator Staff Member

Ownership is not a function of [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]. Control is a function of [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]. When the monster is equipped to it, and it is destroyed, it releases control.

When two vieing [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]s are destroyed simultaneously, they are releasing control simultaneously. Previous ownership is not a function of [ycard="SD4-EN015"]Snatch Steal[/ycard]. It is a function of no longer being equipped. Control was never granted to the equip owner because of a lingering condition, but because of continous effect, which is now no longer there. Destroy two [ycard="BPT-011"]Jinzo[/ycard]s at the same time and the don't stop negating traps in sequence, do they? All you've done is turn two active effects off.
  18. Kyhotae

Kyhotae Delusional Knight

Wow. Simon. I'm honored that you posted my question for these guys. :)
  19. skey23

skey23 Council of Heroes

Yes, I posted YOUR question...lol. I just wanted to see how many people would agree the monster would flip flop sides before ending up back at P1's side of the field.

Sadly, nobody a[ycard="SOD-EN055"]Greed[/ycard] with me.... I'm gonna go find a spot and cry now...lol.
  20. babyarm

babyarm New Member

Yeah, there's no way the monster goes anywhere in that situation. Gosh!