Great Dezard questions

Jathro

If Great Dezard is Special Summoned by Premature Burial or Call of the Haunted, and then later destroys 1 monster, the 'attached' Premature Burial or Call of the Haunted will be negated, right? Then what?

In the case of Premature Burial, is this similar to the ruling with Freed the Matchless General...
You can activate "Premature Burial" to Special Summon this card from the Graveyard, and then this card's effect will negate and destroy "Premature Burial". "Freed the Matchless General" will not be destroyed since the effect of "Premature Burial" was negated by his effect.
And then what about Call of the Haunted? Would this be like Special Summoning Jinzo with Call and then Call remains there meaninglessly and Jinzo stays?

Thanks, guys.

For Premature Burial, you're exactly right. Premie would not be able to target Dezard, it would be destroyed, but would have no effect on Dezard.

For Call, I'm not entirely certain, but my argument would be you're way off. I don't think ANYTHING would happen to Call immediately.

Look very carefully at the text of Call of the Haunted. *waits for everyone to click the auto-link*

Note that no where on the card does it specify that call continuously targets its original target. Equip cards have an inherent mechanic that causes them to ALWAYS target the monster they are equipped to. This is why Premature Burial + Sprit Reaper isn't the wisest of combos, even though Reaper would have been in the grave at the time of activation.

Continuous Traps, however, have no such mechanic. Nothing on Call says it keeps targeting the monster after resolution. It doesn't equip to that monster. It just targets it, summons it, and then kills it if ever Call itself is killed. Between the summoning and Call's death, I see no evidence that it targets the monster.

Jason_C said:
For Call of the Haunted. *waits for everyone to click the auto-link*

Note that no where on the card does it specify that call continuously targets its original target. Equip cards have an inherent mechanic that causes them to ALWAYS target the monster they are equipped to. This is why Premature Burial + Sprit Reaper isn't the wisest of combos, even though Reaper would have been in the grave at the time of activation.

Continuous Traps, however, have no such mechanic. Nothing on Call says it keeps targeting the monster after resolution. It doesn't equip to that monster. It just targets it, summons it, and then kills it if ever Call itself is killed. Between the summoning and Call's death, I see no evidence that it targets the monster.','ycard','width=600,height=600'); return false;">Look very carefully at the text of Call of the Haunted. *waits for everyone to click the auto-link*

Continuous Traps, however, have no such mechanic. Nothing on Call says it keeps targeting the monster after resolution. It doesn't equip to that monster. It just targets it, summons it, and then kills it if ever Call itself is killed. Between the summoning and Call's death, I see no evidence that it targets the monster.
Spirit Reaper special summoned by Call of the Haunted would not die immediately once Call has resolved?

To answer the original question. Great Dezard's effect is to negate the activation and destroy the targeting Spell or Trap. Premature Burial and Call of the Haunted are not activating since they have already resolved, and thus are not going to be negated and destroyed.','ycard','width=600,height=600'); return false;">

Are you suggesting that a Spirit Reaper special summoned by Call of the Haunted would not die immediately once Call has resolved?

To answer the original question. Great Dezard's effect is to negate the activation and destroy the targeting Spell or Trap. Premature Burial and Call of the Haunted are not activating since they have already resolved, and thus are not going to be negated and destroyed.

Jason_C said:
I believe so. Am I missing something?

How about ruling #47 for Call of the Haunted:
[Re: Spirit Reaper] If "Spirit Reaper" is Special Summoned with "Premature Burial" or "Call of the Haunted", "Spirit Reaper" is destroyed after it is Special Summoned because it is targeted by an effect.

Why wouldn't Call target? It has a direct connection to the monster, if the monster is destroyed then so is Call and vice-versa, that implies a direct connection meaning it targets.

slither said:
Why wouldn't Call target? It has a direct connection to the monster, if the monster is destroyed then so is Call and vice-versa, that implies a direct connection meaning it targets.
For the logic I presented. Call targets at activation, granted. But nothing on the card says it continues to target after resolution. Moreover, it isn't an equip spell, so there is no mechanic to facilitate continued targeting.

When Call is activated, it targets. When Call resolves, it targets. When Call is destroyed and drags the monster down with it, it targets. But why would it perpetually target throughout? It's not an equip trap card, you know.

In the end, it doesn't matter what it says on the card...the rulings we've been given all point to and dictate that Call does infact target at activation, and continuously targets the face-up monster is Special Summons.

that's how I understood it, because targetting implies a choice of which card an effect is going to ...well..."target".

Of course, I realize that isn't applicable to all situations, seeing how Sakuretsu Armor is ruled to be targetting one monster. (personally, I don't agree with that,but hey...what can ya do)

Just as a refresher for me, can someone just define the mechanic of targetting?

Sakuretsu targets because you elect to activate it against a specific attacker. If your opponent has 5 monsters on the field, yet you activate Sak when their particular Mobius attacks, you're targeting that Mobius.

Oh, I understand why Sakuretsu was ruled targetting, I just don't see it having a choice of which monster to destroy once activated. It's activation is inherently targetting. I can live with it, Im just not completely comfortable with it.

But, my real question was just a general definition of targetting as it would apply to most (if not all)* targetting effects.

*I say that because Im sure there are some card rulings that will defy a singular definition, lol.

a general definition of "targeting" would be: "when the player activating the card selects what's going to be affected when the card is activated, the card targets".

squid said:
Oh, I understand why Sakuretsu was ruled targetting, I just don't see it having a choice of which monster to destroy once activated. It's activation is inherently targetting. I can live with it, Im just not completely comfortable with it.

But, my real question was just a general definition of targetting as it would apply to most (if not all)* targetting effects.

*I say that because Im sure there are some card rulings that will defy a singular definition, lol.

squid my friend, how can you not see it?

Sakuretsu Armor
You can only activate this card when your opponent declares an attack. Destroy the attacking monster.

It's impling which monster to destroy.

Back