Champion Pack 1: Rant thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

djp952

(update RONIN, or go look at netrep.net)

Champion Pack: Game One SUCKS beyond the worst expectations of a set like this ever sucking before. What an amazing waste of everyone's hopes.

Yeah, a rare Enemy Controller is pretty nice. Satellite Cannon is kinda cool, but THUNDER KID? FINAL COUNTDOWN? Are they serious? I realize my collection is ... large ... compared to many others, but what on Earth do I need another KING TIGER WANGHU for? I've got TONs of these, and I'm not using them now. Does that mean I can't be a Champion? (I can't be because I suck -- that's the real reason)

The only time I can remember being this disappointed with a hyped-up set was with the Evolution Starter Decks. And to be honest, I don't think even then I was this disappointed.

Sorry if everyone else thinks it's a great set, but I am actually APPALLED and INSULTED by this set.

Yeah, I'm heading right out to my Hobby Store tomorrow and snatching these babies up! I'd go for the Parallel Spear Dragon that's 2 months overdue, but ... Thunder Kid?!?!?!

www.ebay.com. Yep, that's where Mikey's Satellite Cannon is gonna come from.

edit: CP01. CDIP. EHC1/EHC2. DR03. The tins. What a horrible end to 2006 for this game. Worst. Year. Ever.

This is why I quit buying Yugioh cards. If you get a card thats worth something they screw you 2 months later by bringing out a common. Then they release commons as ultra rares messing up the complete system. If you have a card and want to re-release it then make it the same rarity. That wouldn't be as bad.

densetsu_x said:
So Mike, tell us what you really think. Please, don't hold back.

Wow.

I seem to be in the minority on this one (as compared with the Internet at large), but I still think CP01 sucks rotten apples.

But hey -- one good thing is the complete lack of Elemental Heros. There's always a bright side :p

Could someone put a post of what all's in the pack? I only know what you guys listed.

And personally, I always hated the Super, Ultra, Secret, Ultimate whatever rarity it is. Just makes you waste more money to get that ONE card that you want.

D.M.E.N. said:
Could someone put a post of what all's in the pack? I only know what you guys listed.

And personally, I always hated the Super, Ultra, Secret, Ultimate whatever rarity it is. Just makes you waste more money to get that ONE card that you want.

Step 1 click on Resources
Step 2 select Card Registry
Step 3 select Champion Pack: Game One

This is a good way to let new players get into the game without having to spend endless amounts of money on boosters hoping for specific cards. I don't like some of the rarities for aesthetic reasons (rare Solemn Judgment?!?!) but I will still welcome the reprints, especially since easier access means acquiring 2-3 playsets

with only 3 cards per pack, its not like your odds for aquiring all the playsets are going to increase that dramatically. Its just a renamed Tournament Pack.

I kind of like the idea of a Silver Rare Solemn Judgment. (collector's purposes). And the holos are purely collector items. There's no reason to buy them for decks, if you already have a ton of commons (and who doesn't have a ton of Night Assailants wasting away?)

I mentioned this on the Lair, but I think that Mysterious Guard was a classy choice. It may be limited in application, but its effect(s) are pretty dynamic. And I have always thought King Tiger Wanghu was a bit of a sleeper card. With all the talk about how great Dekoichi is as a floater, KTW would stop that silliness flat.

Honestly, I would have been disappointed if they made a bunch of common Zaborg, DD Assailants, Dekoichi ect.. like one rumor had it. At least the cards released (unloved though they are) don't perpetuate the same old tired CC mentality that we have already.

Let's just hope that this is the corporate way of saying "If you're a Champion, why not try these, tough guy, and challenge yourself?"

But Thunder Kid? Seriously? That totally reminds me of the Archfiend Marmot of Nefariousness...... MINUS the cool affiliation with Archfiends.

squid said:
But Thunder Kid? Seriously? That totally reminds me of the Archfiend Marmot of Nefariousness...... MINUS the cool affiliation with Archfiends.

He looks like a posessed Pikachu :D Hmmm...

squid said:
I mentioned this on the Lair, but I think that Mysterious Guard was a classy choice. It may be limited in application, but its effect(s) are pretty dynamic. And I have always thought King Tiger Wanghu was a bit of a sleeper card. With all the talk about how great Dekoichi is as a floater, KTW would stop that silliness flat.

King Tiger Wanghu wouldn't stop Dekoichi. In fact it wouldn't stop any monster from being Flip Summoned.

If you participate in tournaments often enough, you will accrue multiple Champion Packs. Yes, some of the cards have been reprinted before, but there are others that you may not have had, but wanted to get, only to find that no one else had them or the rarity was a little too high (or they were short print cards)

Would you spend money buying DB2 packs just for a Solemn Judgment? No, you would trade for them. And if people don't have them, the Champion Pack offers a reprinted version.

Face it, cards are going to be reprinted for the sake of being used in games. You don't get points for using a 1/e Ultra Rare MRD Mirror Force in your deck as opposed to a Super Rare DB2 Mirror Force.

Of course, initially, many good cards will come out at a higher rarity than their reprint couterparts. The period between the initial release and the reprint release is perhaps the best time for people to use the card's rarity status in trades, especially those that are of high value (Mirror Force, Cyber Dragon, Enemy Controller etc.) Once the card has been reprinted and widely distributed, then that "grace" period is over. Players will factor in playability more than the weight of its foil/non foil status.

Finally, think about how a game needs to survive and grow. If you want new blood into the game, and if you want existing players to be able to build multiple decks because of the sheer fun of the game, then reprints and accessibilty become an important part of marketing.

magnumcyclonex said:
Finally, think about how a game needs to survive and grow. If you want new blood into the game, and if you want existing players to be able to build multiple decks because of the sheer fun of the game, then reprints and accessibilty become an important part of marketing.
The "Reprints are good for the game" argument has been beaten to death.

The Champion Packs were supposed to be about cards that were seeing high play in Competitive Players Decks. Thunder Kid is NOT one of those cards, nor is Mysterious Guard.

Face it, this "Reprint Pack" is not something that players asked for. Its just something we thought was going to be BETTER than it ended up being.

So you want an ideal reprint pack? In no particular order, the following could constitute a set of cards that see high tournament play on a consistent basis based on several tournament decklists preceding this date.

1. Cyber Dragon
2. Sakuretsu Armor
3. Book of Moon
4. Enemy Controller
5. Dekoichi the Battlechanted Locootive
6. Zaborg the Thunder Monarch
7. Bottomless Trap Hole
8. Mystical Space Typhoon
9. Heavy Storm
10. Call of the Haunted
11. Premature Burial
12. Sangan
13. DD Warrior Lady
14. Treeborn Frog
15. Breaker the Magical Warrior
16. Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch
17. Smashing Ground
18. Scapegoat
19. Magician of Faith
(20. Satellite Cannon)

The Champion Packs were hyped up a lot. Are they good? Yes. Are they bad? No. Is every single card in the set good? No, and for good reason.

There is nothing that can redeem this Pack, which is why the Card List never materialized before its release. They KNEW it was a mediocre collection of "Champion" cards.

Super "Sakuretsu Armor" by itself makes me drool over these packs. =) I still remember seeing it and wanting it so badly. =P

And "Satelite Cannon" is a fairly fun card. Already one of my judges wants to build his super robot satelite team hyper force deck (yes, thats you Josh).

You guys can complain all you want but honestly, the cards in this Champion Pack are what they are. Not everything are things that everyone want but they have their spot. And complaining about "Thunder Kid" isn't really going to help. There are a lot more cards out there that we don't have and any way they can slowly trickle them out to us is appreciated.

mortals said:
You guys can complain all you want but honestly, the cards in this Champion Pack are what they are. Not everything are things that everyone want but they have their spot. And complaining about "Thunder Kid" isn't really going to help. There are a lot more cards out there that we don't have and any way they can slowly trickle them out to us is appreciated.

To some extent, I agree with you. Some of the frustration though is that when you get 3 cards per pack and the 1 or 2 cards that are any good are Ultra rares and the rares and commons are things that you already have 20 of, it can really be annoying. I didn't mind so much the old tournament packs, because even the (practically) useless common cards were new. They were, to me, interesting. So, If I'm going to "get" some CPs, I would hope that if I didn't get what I wanted, I could at least get something different. I think that is what the rant is mostly about.

No rants from me. Personally, I need the Big Shield Gardnas, Enemy Controllers, and Solomn judgement. But 6 months ago, I needed half of the other cards, so I can't really complain, except that I paid plenty for what I got, so, oops.

masterwoo0 said:
There is nothing that can redeem this Pack, which is why the Card List never materialized before its release. They KNEW it was a mediocre collection of "Champion" cards.

Hence the reason I'm so pissed off at it, too. After sleeping on it, it's really not THAT bad, it's the fact that UDE was touting it as 'da bomb' for so long.

I was really and truly expecting cards like Mirror Force, and perhaps even some currently forbidden ones. Cards that some players still have a hard time getting.

mortals said:
Super "Sakuretsu Armor" by itself makes me drool over these packs. =) I still remember seeing it and wanting it so badly. =P

And "Satelite Cannon" is a fairly fun card. Already one of my judges wants to build his super robot satelite team hyper force deck (yes, thats you Josh).

Actually, we don't need permission to complain.

And if complaining isnt going to help, then answer me this, "What will?"

Complaining got Chaos Sorcerer Banned. So there is some merit to it, and giving us the garbage because we don't yet have it, shouldn't make anyone say, "Well, its better than nothing." It is NOTHING, and ANYTHING is better than a 700 ATK/600 DEF Vanilla Monster. They might as well have Reprinted Mega Thunderball and added it in instead. It would have gotten the same response, but at least we wouldn't have to hear, "We got something NEW", just because we dont already have this silly card.

I mean, come on!! It's okay to be unhappy about this Pack, just like it was okay to be unhappy about getting a crappy Promo for Cyberdark Impact. We deserve to get something good every once in awhile. As players and Judges, we continue to support a game that really doesnt listen that well to its fan base.

Name the last time they gave us something EVERYONE could generally be happy about, and not excuses why they can't?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back