Shameless plug to try a new game

Dillie-O

Council of Heroes
So I abandoned Yugi nearly 5 years ago and since then picked up a new CCG called Legend of the Five Rings (or L5R for short).

There's a lot more strategy involved (plus you have two decks - M:TG people are too simple in comparison 8^D) and the whole environment is balanced out so that at a given tournament you'll be facing close to 9 clans with at least 2 different deck styles each and there are 4 win conditions to the game.

Sure it sounds a bit complicated, but it's ninjas and samurai in a fictional "feudal Japan like place". What's not to like?! Plus there are oni and goblins for those that like that kind of stuff.

The group of players is a solid group too, by in large. it is typically college age or older (no offense to the kiddies) but there is a lot less ego going on for the most part and people are fiercely clan loyal, so a new comer can often get a heap of cards for free from "out of clan folks" if they know you're new and picking things up.

L5R is starting a new arc in February (they do this every 2 years or so) so all the old cards are out and you can start fresh rather easily. They even recently released a "learn to play" set that covers everything you need in a nice book and gives you two fully build decks to play with. CoolStuffInc is selling it for about $16 (and I paid $25 for mine). You can get that here: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/193290

If you're looking for something new (or even different), I highly encourage you to check it out! More info on the game (and AMAZING artwork) can be found at http://www.l5r.com and I'll be happy to "evangelize" to you more if you have questions 8^D Who knows, maybe we can get a small hub going here.

I remember you mentioning this to me a few years ago. I know nothing about it. But I'm game to include support. I'll read up on it tomorrow. What's the local card gaming scene for it like?

Local scene is rather pocketed based on where you are. We have a decent group in AZ, and I've sort of helped build up the local scene at our shop. So Cal has some pockets as well as the Pac NW. There are enough players out there that they run international championships.

Best bet is check out the Store Locator (http://imperialassembly.com/#loadpage=storefinder) and see if there are any stores close enough to you that are stocking it. With ours, there was a lot of free demo decks to give our closer to release time, and we have a dedicated L5R night so that new people that want to come have people to teach them. Most of us run a couple extra decks to help out with that and it seems to be a trend with most areas.

I never of this game until now but it sounds interesting luckily for me there is a shop that does this but sadly it's in Manchester is something like 2 hours away by train.

But next time I'm there I'll try and pick this up.

The other thing to do is go into the forums (the link escapes me at the moment) and ask around there. People can often point you to local playgroups and such.

The closest one to you and I, chaos, is Kernersville. So far, I've been to one comic shop in Winston in the three years I've lived here. Hrm, indeed. I need to get out more.

I don't think barrow has a comic book store, well I've never seen one.

So it looks like traveling further a field is my only option.

Jinzo there is a couple of that sell preowed comics, Pepperland which is down the street to the left of M&S and in the Market there is a stall on the opposite side to Retro Cove called Atomic Comics.

Jinzo there is a couple of that sell preowed comics, Pepperland which is down the street to the left of M&S and in the Market there is a stall on the opposite side to Retro Cove called Atomic Comics.

okay I'll give you atomic comics but it only carries comic books and nothing else so no card games.

and pepper land only sells retro/ collectable items

what I meant was we don't have a dedicated gaming store in barrow there isn't anything like fanboy 3 in barrow.

The closest one to you and I, chaos, is Kernersville. So far, I've been to one comic shop in Winston in the three years I've lived here. Hrm, indeed. I need to get out more.

I moved to Greensboro, but I'm still in arms reach. :p

Yeah, we need to get around to meeting up sometime. That kinda fell through last time. >.<

I just want all the CoGers back, helpoemer and them.

I live just a few miles outside Preston. Was this existing knowledge?

Yes it is Now I have narrowed down your location, I can use my particular set of skills to find you and make you live in barrow - doesn't that sound like fun. then we can play yugimons and magics of the gatherings together :)

I can't say I'm interested in starting any card games, though. It's expensive and I've have no one to play with.

L5R is a lot cheaper than Yugi/M:TG, which was a must for me since I have kids 8^D The learn to play set can be found for $16, which gives you two complete decks which work well.

L5R works with commons, uncommons, and rares, with a few promo/premium cards that are out there too. The guy I buy my singles from sells commons for a quarter, uncommons for 50 cents, and rares fluctuate depending on need/value. Highest most for for is $20 and at the same time, if you can find a couple folks from other clans, you can share your cards around. A couple of my friends here started out that way, pooling their cash to buy packs and share cards.

I understand the finances complete, just wanted to give you a slight nude to say it's cheaper than you think 8^D

I can't say I'm interested in starting any card games, though. It's expensive and I've have no one to play with.

You know, for some time I've been thinking about doing an article about card gaming with no money. I've been doing it for some time, and a lot of it has to do with the people you know. But it seems like I'm not the only one who can do this. I guess I've never really sat down and broke it down before.

As far as no one to play games with, I've kinda always been in that boat. I'm not sure what keeps me going. I mean, other than the crazy.

I suppose collecting is a nice thing to do. That's what I did with the Pokémon TCG (just the first 3 sets before I lost interest).

Online gaming is certainly cheap and full of people to play with. Whether the point is the playing itself or the owning of the cards is an interesting question to ask.

You know, for some time I've been thinking about doing an article about card gaming with no money. I've been doing it for some time, and a lot of it has to do with the people you know. But it seems like I'm not the only one who can do this. I guess I've never really sat down and broke it down before.

As far as no one to play games with, I've kinda always been in that boat. I'm not sure what keeps me going. I mean, other than the crazy.

I'm a lot in that boat too with L5R 8^D. The nice thing that helps with that here is

A. Clan Loyalty - People will simply drop a whole heap of cards in your lap if you're new and you play a different clan.

B. Proxies - Most people are cool with proxy play, which helps you save up your $$$ for tourney play.

C. Connections/Work - A guy I met (and later moved to town) sells L5R singles. I now do all his data entry when the new sets are previewed. It takes some extra hours (especially with a new arc) but I get a set of Common/Uncommon cards for expansion sets out of the deal, which covers about 90% of the cards in the set. Helps with the deck building and then I can sell/trade others to get the rares.

I'm sure such a system could apply to other games as well.

I'm having a hard time getting a chance to really read up on this. But, man, the artwork is compelling.

You know, Yu-Gi-Oh! was the first game I was ever taught. But subsequent games I've never really gotten into unless I liked the artwork. UFS and Vs. were both like that for me. I notice most people I game with seem to barely notice the artwork, and that's only because I bring it up.

I like looking at the art work on cards sometimes it's really good like the art work on the recently released slifer the sky dragon or mobius has pretty cool art work, soe of the more recent yugioh cards have gone for amore cartoony look abit like some of the pokemon cards have.

mjxxYLuA0hnwQEZu817zvig.jpg

Back