YGO Card Reviews & Tips

This board is for everyone to put in their 2¢ in on cards. Please read the rules before posting.
Let me say this to start. I have... nothing to say. (Bonus points to anyone who knows where that line comes from). Calamity of the Wicked Normal Trap You can only activate this card when your Opponent's Monster declares an attack. Destroy all Spell and Trap cards on the Field. Where Found: Structure Deck Marik (Reprinted in Structure Deck 13) Likely TCG Appearance: Structure Deck 13 Just as Torrential Tribute was a Trap Card version of Dark Hole (with a timing requirement), so too do we find a Trap Card version of Heavy Storm (again, with a timing requirement). Similarly, this will make a better Mid-Game card than early or late. However, with potential that Heavy Storm and/or Mystical Space Typhoon could end up on the October 07...
Wow, this card is like one of the best card ever since E-Hero Stratos was released for JUMP. (There was that Exchange of the Spirits, but got banned like before we even get to play it) Anyway, we're now getting the best "Beast"stick ever printed alolng with the one card that put Rat Control "Beastdoiwn" into Tier 1 in Japan until it got 1x per deck restriction. Enough blah, review time. ------------ Green Baboon, Defender of the Forest Star 7 / Beast /Earth/ Effect ATK/ 2600 DEF/ 1800 When a Beast-Type Monster you control is destroyed and send to the Graveyard, you can pay 1000 Lifepoints to special summon this card from your hand or the Graveyard. ------------ Let's start things off. For one thing, it's a LV7. BUT, for a...
Shrink STON To me this card is a fantastic card, with more decks starting to run Jinzo and Royal Decree I think we will see more quick-play spell cards entering into the competitive game. Obviously it will be rare for an op to have a monster with more then double attack points then the monster its attacking but it also has the advantage of being able to be used on your own monster which could possibly save it from a Bottomless Trap Hole in the case of Ring of Destruction lowering the attack of the targeted monster to help decrease damage to your lifepoints or Spirt Reaper removal or etc. Its versatility and quickplay status means it is not a useless card or even a weak card but it is VERY uncommon card to see used in competitive play...
Volcanic Rocket Effect Monster (Pyro / FIRE / 4 Stars / ATK 1900 / DEF 1400) When this card is Normal Summoned, Flip Summoned, or Special Summoned, you can add 1 "Blaze Accelerator" card from your Deck or your Graveyard to your hand. Volcanic Blaster is a very versitile card in Volcanic decks. However, the theme was missing that little something to make it truly competitive. Don't look now but that "little something" has just taken off. Whenever Volcanic Rocket is summoned (doesn't matter how) you get to search for any "Blaze Accelerator" card from your Deck OR Graveyard. The recyclability of these Continuous Spell Cards cannot be underestimated. As seen in both Gadget and Ritual Decks, having the ability to add back a card to...
It's been a long long long time since I've done one of these. However, with the amount of love I've seen the Crystal Beasts and Raiza the Storm Monarch get, I think I'll spread some joy for my favorite theme of the new set: Volcanic Blaster Effect Monster (Pyro / FIRE / 3 Stars / ATK 1200 / DEF 600) When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard by battle, you can place 1 "Volcanic" monster in your Deck on top of your Deck. Now, why start with this card? Well, there are quite a few tactics you can go with when you run Volcanics. I am going to focus on the cards to let you bring out the Muscle of the set: Volcanic Doomfire. In that regard, this monster is the key. The stats are nothing special. It can be searched out by...
Now I gotten done with the 3x more powerful cards in FOTB, let's rate the non-obvious good ones. I'll start with this dude, a card for Volcanic decks. -------- FOTB-EN009: Volcanic Shell Fire/Pyro - Effect/1/100/0 Once per turn, while this card is in the Graveyard, you can pay 500 Life Points to add 1 "Volcanic Shell" from your Deck to your hand. -------- Sound simple. Now, the stat of this thing is literally crap as it's only 100ATK and 0 DEF. The only thing it CAN kill is just sheep tokens and maybe few of those gigantic beaters who switches to 0DEF after it attacks. This card was purely meant for effect. The effect is just hand advantage, by getting the card you lost by paying 500LP. The obvious reason this is...
Another card review. And this card is considered to be the 2nd most powerful card in the FOTB set. Heck, if you ignore everything else and JUST consider the effect, it's literally the most powerful effect in YGO next to the taboo known and Chaos Emperer Dragon - Envoy of the End.... *SMACK* See, I can't even SAY the word CED before somebody beat me up for their scarred trauma kicking in. Anyway, onto the review of this. ----------- Sky Scourge Norleras Level 8 DARK Fiend/Effect ATK: 2400 DEF: 1500 This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. It cannot be Special Summoned except by removing from play 1 LIGHT Fairy monster and 3 DARK Fiend monsters from your Graveyard. You can pay 1000 Life Points to send all cards on the...
The other version of Chaos monster for the FOTB. Now, this isn't Norleras, but still good enough for a review. IMO, this is more of a controlled version rather then a 1 card nuker. Sky Scourge Enrise Level 8 Attribute: LIGHT Fairy-type effect monster ATK: 2400 DEF: 1500 This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. It cannot be Special Summoned except by removing from play 3 LIGHT Fairy monsters and 1 DARK Fiend monster from your Graveyard. Once per turn, you can remove 1 face-up monster on the field from play. If you do, this card cannot attack this turn. ------------- The stats. Being LV8 means good Metamorphosis target. (And unlike Norleras, Meta on this dude is definately worth it.) And although it's a 2400ATK for a LV8...
Well, it's been quite awhile since I did this isn't it. Oh well, time for this thing again. I'll review quite a bit of FOTB cards. Some are "obvious" and some... well, good value more then it gives credits. This is IMO, the most wanted card of FOTB right now. The new monarch! ------- Raiza the Storm Monarch Level 6 / Winged-Beast / Wind / Effect 2400ATK / 1000DEF When this card is Tribute Summoned, send 1 card on the field to the top of its owner's Deck. ---------- Another family of Monarch. And like all monarch, very good effect and worth the tribute cost. Like all Monarch, have the standard 2400/1000 stat. The DEF doesn't matter, it's all about the 2400 beatstick. And this Monarch, in theory, is the best monarch next...
I'll now do the most rare and "collector's value" among the Champion Pack. And this card is another popular card that the collectors and machine fans (Like me) wanted to get for AGES, until now, we GOT IT. (Hard as crap to get though, since it's Ultra Rare) And oh yeah, I said the most rare as collector's value. The most rare among the Champion Pack that competitive players want is the Super Rare Sakuretsu Armor, since they like to have a shiny Hollow Saku. Let's see it's effect. Effect Monster LIGHT / Machine / Level 5 0 ATK / 0 DEF This card cannot be destroyed by battle with a Level 7 or lower monster. During each of your End Phases, this card gains 1000 ATK. If this card attacks, its ATK is returned to 0, after damage...
Well, there's TONS of good cards in STON, but among them all, this card probably takes the cake as being the best card among them. Now how good is this card, good enough to be splashed for almost ever CC deck right now. (Now, we don't know how long will this "fad" last. I mean, this card isn't Treeborn Frog level) Anyway, let's review this card that actually got 1x per deck the moment it got released in the US. ---------- Neo-Spacian Grand Mole Level 3 / Rock / Earth / Effect 900ATK / 300DEF If this card attacks or is attacked by an opponent's monster, you can return both monsters to their owner's hand at the start of the Damage Step (Without damage calculations). ------- Okay, let's review. First, it's a LV3. That's good...
Well, "Outside the Box" week concludes with one of my favorite cards. Especially with the increased popularity of Advanced Format, "Raigeki Break" has become a very playable card. Discard a card, destroy a card on the field. Spell... Trap... Monster... whatever. This card is your all-in-one cleaner-up. Works best with Multiple Night Assailants or Sinister Serpent (esp. during the Standby Phase). Being a trap slows it a little bit, but it's overall flexibility makes it one of the best Card Removers in the game. (Nothing like seeing your opponent's face work oh so hard to bring our Horus LV6 or LV8 only to drop this trap on them. :evil:)
Another D-Hero is coming our way. And I honestly love D-Heros. Heck, currently, Diamond Dude Turbo is doing havoc. And with this dude out, even with the 1x Stratos/Dimension Fusion limitation, it might just give enough push to support the theme even more then ever before. Another words, this is another D-Hero that'll have a huge impact as much as Malicious is doing right now. The effect is that kickass. ----------- Destiny Hero - Disk CommanderDARK/Warrior - Effect/1/300/300 When this card is successfully Special Summoned from your Graveyard, draw 2 cards from your deck. ----------- First, let's look at the stats. It's a LV1. Well, back when TER was legal, this meant something... but now LV1 means nothing since it's banned.... And...
Another "first time in history" that I'll rate a card that's the "icon boss" of a structure deck. Okay, it's NOT from a structure deck, but from a secret rare in STON. But hey, Konami USA are somehow being asses and decided to NOT release the Light Structure, and make us pay ALOT (by either trading, or spending money online) for cards of a structure deck. (Now, if these were Gadgets, then it's somewhat understandable, since Gadgets were originally V-Jump promo in Japan) But these new 8 cards are no where near "staple", and it's just there to support fairy decks. (i.e. either Counter-Fairy, or Sanctuary deck. Or a bit of both mixed) IMO, they're being jerks who wants more money off of us player. Anyway, among the "bosses" of stucture...
Holy CRAP! They JUST released this broken most powerful Elemental Hero ever in Shounen Jump Mag as promo! (I didn't know until just now) But meh, we can only get the glory days for 10 days before the March banlist WILL put this card 1x per deck. (It's far too broken, seriously, it's on the Japan OCG banlist as 1x per deck already.) But I'll review anyway. --------- Elemental Hero Stratos Level 4 / Warrior / Wind / Effect 1800ATK / 300DEF When this card is Normal or Special Summoned, you can select and activate 1 of the following effect: - Destroy Spell or Trap cards on the field up to the number of "Elemental Hero" and "Destiny Hero" monsters you control (not counting this card). - Select and add 1 "Elemental Hero" or...
Burial From a Different Dimension Quick-Play Spell Select up to 3 Monster Cards that are removed from play, and return them to their owners' Graveyards. Let's take a look at the "other" Ultra Rare from the Jaden 2 Duelist Pack. At first glance, this seems to be a very situational card, and similar to Miracle Dig. What makes this better though are a couple of things: 1. It's Quick-play 2. It can return your opponent's monster(s) to the Graveyard At first glance, removal decks can utitilize this. For instance, not enough DARKS or LIGHTS in the Graveyard for Strike Ninja/Freed the Brave Wanderer? This will return enough for you to use again. Need to pump up Bazoo the Soul-Eater one more time? Here ya go. In Traditional, the same...
Wow, this is probably my first time doing a card review of a promo card. And this card, USA is getting it first, not Japan. And for that kind, it's pretty good. Let's check this promo card and why I'm bothering to preview. ----------- Grandmaster of the Six Samurai EARTH/Warrior Level 5 2100ATK/800DEF You can only have 1 "Grandmaster of the Six Samurai" monster on your side of the field. While you control a face-up "Six Samurai" monster, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. When this card is destroyed by your opponent's card effect, add 1 "Six Samurai" monster from your Graveyard to your hand. ------------------ Okay, let's see it's stats. It's a warrior. But it's a LV5 so ROTA thing doesn't matter. So that's...
Well, it'll be around 1 weeks till Jaden Pack 2 and Aster Phoenix pack comes out. IMO, definately Aster Phoenix pack is WAY better. But I'll note of IMO the best, and only one, that's worth getting in Jaden pack Vol 2. (Unless your into E-Heros... but even then, meh) ------- Card Trooper Earth/Machine/3/400/400 text from DMCOMET (i.e. not the offical English text) You can send up to top 3 cards on your deck into Graveyard. For each card send to Graveyard, increase this card's attack strength by 500 until End Phase. This effect can only be activate once per turn. When this card is destroy and send to Graveyard, draw a card from your deck. ----- First let's see it's basic stats. It's a LV 3 monster. That's good cause it'll go...
Ancient Gear Engineer Effect Monster (Machine / EARTH / 5 Stars / ATK 1500 / DEF 1500) Negate the effect of any Trap Card that targets this card, and destroy that Trap Card. If this card attacks, your opponent cannot activate any Spell or Trap Cards until the end of the Damage Step. When this card attacks, destroy 1 Spell or Trap Card on your opponent's side of the field at the end of the Damage Step. Let's take a look at one of the new Ancient Gear monsters from the Machine Re-Volt structure deck. In many ways, this guy is similar to Elemental Hero Wildheart, so let's compare the two. Ancient Gear Engineer Pros: - Immune to any Traps that target it - Immune to opponent's Spells/Traps in the Battle Phase - Can destroy a S/T after...
Now I review another D-Hero Support card. And this is IMO the BEST D-HERO SUPPORT EVER! If E-Hero decks had support like this I would LOVE IT, but no, only D-Hero gets it cause they're cooler. So now I'll review the Deus Ex Machina of D-Hero spell card. ------------- Destiny Draw Spell - Normal text from DMCOMET (i.e. not the offical English text) Discard a card with [D-Hero] in its name from your hand. Draw 2 cards from your deck. ------------- Nice, short, and to the point. Now, did I just read that right? DRAW 2 CARD?! ZOMG, is this Pot of Greed?! No, not really. It's not Pot of Greed. It's more like a semi-Graceful Charity. Why? Cause you discard a card. So you lose a card + the use of this card activation to draw two...
Back