YGO Card Reviews & Tips

This board is for everyone to put in their 2¢ in on cards. Please read the rules before posting.
The purpose of the the "Looking Ahead" series of Card Reviews is to take cards from the OCG that haven't made their way to the TCG yet and open up a discussion of things to come. Often times the cards chosen will be quite useful in a variety of different decks as well give an insight into the Japanese Metagame. Each review will include the name of the card and a translation of the effect. Keep in mind that while the translations may not necessarily be "official", they often will be (mechanically) correct for how the card would be played in the TCG. Where possible, I have used Konami's translations of the cards, though I will clarify their wording when necessary. Example: Necroface's text in WC07 states that when he is Normal...
This section is your chance to post a card review along the lines of "Card of the Day".* Please keep these rules in mind when posting: If you are starting a new article, please use proper spelling, punctuation and capitilization before posting. Put your best foot forward. Remember that articles submitted are subject to corrections by the editor, just as with any article submitted to a magazine or website. Until we can get links in, please post the text of the card in the body of your article. You may use the tags to make it look more professional. Remember to fill out all the appropriate fields. Treat all posts with respect.* Remember that the posts are opinions on cards.* You are free to disagree with an opinion, but you MUST...
This card earns the distinction of being THE single hardest card to properly summon in the ENTIRE card game. Yes, you'll have better odds on bringing out Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth. You'll have an easier time winning with Destiny Board. Ok, the Anime gives it more support cards to at least give it a fighting chance, but even if they are made for real, they'd liked be nerfed. Who cares though, let's dust off all those "big" Shadow of Infinity cards that many wanted at the time and then promptly forgot about. Chaos Phantom - Armityle Dark/Fiend/12/0/0 [Uria, Lord of Searing Flames + Hamon, Lord of Striking Thunder + Raviel, Lord of Phantasms] This card can only be Special Summon from Fusion deck by removing the above cards from...
Yes ladies and gentlemen its my first card of the day review. Lets start big with a new card from the zombie world structure deck. Lets make it a shint one. Attribute: DARK Types: Zombie/Effect Level: Level 7 ATK/DEF: 2400/2000 You can Tribute Summon this card in Attack Position by Tributing 1 Zombie-Type monster. When this card destroys a Zombie-Type monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard, you can Special Summon that monster to your side of the field. So what can we say about this big fellow? Well, lets try looking at it from the main decktype it is used in. Zombies with this card are even more pure evil than they ever were before. Not only do Zombies get Plaguespreader in CSOC* they have this bad boy...
Effect: This card can be special summon by removing a Dragon type monster on your field from the game. Once per turn, during your Main Phase you can special summon a Dragon type monster outside of [Red Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon] from your hand or Graveyard to your field.Yay, be back reviewing, after awhile. This card isn't out yet, but I just HAD to review it after I read the spoiled effect that's released in japan. Seriously, the poor Red-Eyes was always considered weak compared to Blue-Eyes, being LV7 with just 2400 ATK that's a Normal Monster. Even Metal version or darkness version were considered whatever effect. But now, we got the KING of all dragons that's even superior then even King Dragun or Five-Headed Dragon for dragons...
ENEMY CONTROLLER Art is of of a x-box-esque game pad in front of a purple/pink background with lightning effects. I love this card it is practically a staple for me, the first thing you need to realize is that this is a Quick Play Spell, meaning that you can (on your turn only) play it right from your hand and catch your opponent unawares. Or set it to use on your opponents turn. Decks: it can be placed into most decks with varying degrees of synergy. Strengths: (see combos) Weaknesses: Horus lv8, spell canceller, Magic Drain etc. not much else really as it is chainable. Sets, Errata changes and rarity: Ancient Sanctuary AST-037 (original card) (ultra rare) Select and activate 1 of the following...
This card is much more known as Five God Dragon or F.G.D. in Japan. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's gunna be the name, along with the id number. I kinda copied off of the secret Rare from exclusive booster version of Structure Deck 1 Dragon deck that had Armed Dragon LV7 as the promo. (That one was SD1-ENDE1 so....) Anyway, this card have been begged to be released for AGES. Anyway, I hear this is coming out as an exlsive Booster for the upcoming Dinosaur Structure deck, and Victory Dragon coming out for Shounen Jump Mag. (I hear the next one after Magician's Valkyria is Toon DMG, so after that is probably Victory Dragon) So the old dusty Dragons are FINALLY getting some support and boost ever since the Horus LV series came out. I...
Here's another really good card for the new Phantom Darkness. This card seriously is alot of Scapegoat brother. So let's see it's effect. --------- Quick-Play Spell When you activate this card, you cannot Normal Summon, Flip Summon or Special summon. Special summon 2 "Dark Blaze Phantom Tokens" (Fiend-Type/DARK/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) in Defense Position (These Tokens cannot be Tributed for Tribute summon except for the Tribute Summon of a Dark Monster) ---------- Gee, a quick-play that lets you special summon tokens, what does this reminds you of. Yes, Scapegoats. But there are differences, good and bad. The bad thing is, it only special summons 2 tokens. The "good" thing is, you CAN tribute them for a tribute summon, for Dark...
I don't know, it must be a trend for Konami to break the old rules of what cards are supreme to others. Like Blue-Eyes White Dragon was ALWAYS considered better then Red-Eyes Black Dragon until recently a card called Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon was released in Japan that stomps out BEWD outright into shame. And this card does the same. This card is way better then Horus LV8 and Dark Horus Dragon combined IMO. (In fact, Dark Horus Dragon is bad IMO.) Anyway, let's see it's stuff that makes Chazz Prinston proud. ------- Dark Armed Dragon Level 7/Dragon/Dark/2800ATK/1000DEF This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card cannot be Special Summoned except when there are exactly 3 DARK monsters in your Graveyard. By removing...
Another good Cyber monster have come out. I think the last time a good Cyber monster was Chimeratech Overdragon. (And before that, Cyber Phoenix) Let's look at this new monster to the Cyber family of Zane. Cyber Vary Light/Machine/1/0ATK/0DEF You can choose one of the following effects to activate. - When this card is target of attack by opponent's monster, by removing this card from the game draw a card from the deck, and end that Battle Phase. - Choose a face-up monster on your field and remove it from the game with this card, draw 2 cards from your deck. - Remove this card and a card in your hand from the game. Put a card in your Graveyard into the top of your deck. ---- Now, the stats. Although it's a machine, being 0 ATK...
I honestly love machines. And although i loved Victory Viper, I never used him in the end card of weak stats Blue Thunder T45 Light/Machine/4/1700/1000 When this card destroys an opponent's monster by Battle, special summon a [Thunder Option Token] (Light/Machine/4/1500/1500) to your field. The "Thunder Option Token" cannot be used as a tributed for tribute summon. Now. similarity. Both are from the game Gradius series, and both are Light/machine with level 4. Unlike Victory Viper, it have 1700ATK. Although it cannot be searched by Sangan, it's a good thing. The only "weakness" of Viper was the poor ATK stat. The only good effect of Victory Viper was token creations of itself. And that was hard cause of 1200ATK having to destroy...
Now, another spell. And this card is like a brother to Pot of Avarice. --------- Beginning of the End Normal Spell You can only be activated when you have 7 or more Dark attribute monsters in your Graveyard. Remove 5 Dark attribute monsters from your Graveyard from the game, draw 3 cards from your deck.---------- Now, some rulings. The removing of 5 dark attribute monsters isn't a cost, but part of the effect. Meaning if your foe D.D. Crow 1 of the 5 cards you selected from gave, you do not remove the rest of the 4 cards and you do not draw 3 cards as well. Now, the difference. First of all, to activate this card, you need 7 monsters instead of 5, and you need then in DARK attribute too. The good part is, you draw 3 CARD...
Now, on to the review of Phantom Darkness set. To be honest, there's TOO MANY GOOD CARDS in this set. We already know Dark Attributes are the king of all attribute for YGO. And do they HAD to pump it to another level? No idea, but it sure makes Dark Attribute scary one again. So, here's the start. The first of many extremely good Dark Monster in this set. ------ Armageddon Knight Level 4 / Dark / Warrior / 1400ATK / 1200DEF When this card is successfully Normal Summoned, Flip Summoned, or Special Summoned, you can select 1 DARK monster from your Deck and send it to the Graveyard. ---------- Let's look at it's stats. #1: Level 4 Warrior. That means it's ROTA supportable. That's good. #2: ATK of 1400 means it can be searched...
(NOTE: I accidentally typed a bit too much for the monster name title. It should only be "Devil King Dragon - Vandalgion") I HOPE this is correct. That the next YGO card after Dreadroot have been confirmed that this is the next Jump card. And no, this will probably not be the name of the card. "Devil" is bad in English YGO, although they'll probably keep Vandalgion. Anyway, onto the review. ---------------- Devil King Dragon - Vandalgion 8 Star / Dragon / Dark / 2800ATK / 2500 DEF Effect: Whenever a card that opponent activate is negate by a Counter Trap, this card can be special summon from your hand. When this card is successfully special summon this way, one of the following effects would be activate depends on the type of...
In this session of "A Step Back", I will explain why "Hydrogeddon" does not get its effect when it attacks or is attacked by a monster with the same attack (such as a "Breaker the Magical Warrior" without his counter) or destroyed by a flip effect (such as "Old Vindictive Magician") but will get its effect when destroyed by a "destroyed as result of battle" effect (such as "Newdoria"). In order to understand this, one must first understand that there are different sub-steps of the damage step; here's a quick review: 1. Start of damage step -Flip monster that is being attacked if it is face down -Flip effects trigger 2. Damage calculation -Calculate damage -Apply damage (this is when a monster is considered "destroyed") 3...
For those who don't know, some of the cards are confirmed for the next Championship Pack (i.e. 5th one) And I have to say this is the best ultra rare Championship pack card since the Magical Stone Excavation. This thing will worth at least 100 bucks since it's the ultra rare of a Championship pack. Anyway, let's see the card that Kaiba gave to Yugi to beat Marik. -------------- Fiend's Sanctuary Normal Spell Special summon 1 [Metal Devil Token] (Fiend Dark/1Star/0/0) to the field. This token cannot attack. Direct Damage done to the [Metal Devil Token]'s controller due to it being in battle is done to the opponent instead. During your Stand-by phase, pay 1000 Life Point or destroy the [Metal Devil Token] ------------ Now, the...
Another review. This card, is an old classic that people wanted for a LONG TIME. It's not "Broken" or anywhere near limitations, but it's a gosh darn good effect for any specific need or combo decks that got to do with anything with the graveyard. Here's the text. ------- SD13-EN019 Foolish Burial Spell - Normal Select one Monster from your Deck and send it to your Graveyard. Afterwards, shuffle your Deck. --------------- Now, what does this do. Hand advantage wise, it IS a -1... usually. Cause you use an effect, and nothing happens at all on field or hand. This card is not a 1 for 1 trade in monster wise either. So why is it good, it's mainly for the seach ability that you WANT it in the graveyard. And with careful selection in...
Okay, unfortunately, we don't know when this will be released since there's no release date yet for the World Championship 2008 game. (But it will be released) But seriously, this trap card will be SO HOT, it'll blow away cards like Dark Bribe or Widespread Ruin back in the days. Not as big as say Sinister Serpent or Harpies Feather Duster... but still big. Okay, the effect. ----------- Normal trap You can only activate this card when your opponent declares an attack. Remove from play the attacking monster. ------------- Ya know what this card reminds you of, yeah, Sakuretsu Armor. Although right now Saku IS taking a break. (With all those Raiza, Breaker, Jinzo, Phoenix Wind Wing Blast, Dust Tornado, etc. making it keep missing...
Well, turns out the Truth was a Lie. (I hate it when people scam like that, but it happens. Oh well.) So, I'm redoing 19 with something I've kept referencing for awhile that is another very popular card right now. Light and Darkness Dragon Light/Dragon/8/2800/2400 This card cannot be Special Summoned. This card's Attribute is also treated as "Dark". When this face-up card is on the field, negate the activation and effect of all Spell, Trap, and Effect Monster cards (this effect can only activate once per chain). Each time this effect activates, decrease the ATK and DEF of this card by 500. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, select 1 Monster in your Graveyard, destroy all cards on your side of the field, and...
Why am I not surprised the Gorz was the only card that got commented on? Oh I'm sure the others will get some comments sooner or later. Granted, there might be a little bit of saturation with this at the moment, but there are a lot of great cards at the moment that should be shared. Eventually though things will settle down to a couple times a week. If Pot of Greed was considered to be the only true "staple" card in the game (as in it was an automatic selection for any and every deck out there), then this card is the 2nd one to join that list. This card is a Valuable Book Promo card. The few cards of these we have received showed up in Tournaent Packs and 1 Tin. Another one was reprinted in a Structure deck which will likely be...
IMO, I should just review these cards together. Cause they both contribute to the zombie theme in this new TAEV set. -------------------- Zombie Master Level 4 / Zombie / Dark / Effect 1800 ATK /0 DEF Once per turn, you can send 1 Monster Card from your hand to the Graveyard to Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Zombie-Type Monster from either Player's Graveyard. -------- Il Blud Level 6 / Zombie / Dark / Gemini 2100 ATK /800 DEF This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. While this card is face-up on the field, by Summoning this card a second time and treating it as a Normal Summon, this card is now treated as an Effect Monster with the following effect: - Once per turn, you can...
Man, I haven't done this in awhile. But mainly, it's cause one other dude decided to do some reviewing. But still, I feel like I should do this one. --------------- But ya know, before I review, I really hate the fact that they changed this card rarity from "normal rare" into Ultra rare. Yeah, it was normal rare in Japan, but still, it's still a "common". IMO, at most, it'll be like 10 buck at MOST since it IS a common. But since now it's an ultra rare, it's 40~50 bucks. Anyway, onto the review. ----------------- Crystal Seer Level 1 / Spellcaster / Water / Effect 100ATK / 100DEF FLIP: Pick up 2 cards from the top of your Deck. Select 1 of those cards and add it to your hand, and put the other card on the bottom of your Deck...
Back