Green Baboon

drzero7

Can Green Baboon target itself?

Say Green Baboon is on the field, and there is no other type of Beast Monster. It's destroyed (I don't know, Smashing, Saku, Mirror, etc.) Can you pay 1000LP to special summon itself. (Since Baboon is a Beast)

While there is no definate ruling on it, my assumption is that it will not be able to revive itself (similar to Night Assailant). Done a little bit of research on it and other forums all say that it cannot revive itself, and also checked Metagame feature matches with Green Baboon, where the user did not revive Green Baboon after crashing into a Mirror Force.

densetsu_x said:
Plus the Judges at Nationals were told it cannot target itself, and in the OCG, it cannot target itself.
The current resoning is that the the trigger effect activates while it's in the yard; or, hand. Since it was destroyed while on the field, it's effect can not activate.

HorusMaster said:
Another BKSS situation. Explain why Grandmaster can target itself but Green Baboon cannot. Anyone?
Because it says "when THIS CARD is destroyed" and he is in the Graveyard when his effect activates, where it is only looking for a monster with Six Samurai in its card name.

Green Baboon must have already been in the Graveyard for his effect to trigger WHEN a Beast-type monster is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard.

masterwoo0 said:
Because it says "when THIS CARD is destroyed" and he is in the Graveyard when his effect activates, where it is only looking for a monster with Six Samurai in its card name.

Green Baboon must have already been in the Graveyard for his effect to trigger WHEN a Beast-type monster is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard.

Same situation...Grandmaster isn't in the graveyard when his effect triggers looking for a Six Samurai monster. His effect triggers when it is destroyed, same as Baboon's beast-type requirement.

Grandmaster just cares when himself is destroyed and further, he doesn't have to go to the Graveyard either to get his effect. So it is completely different than the mechanics of Green Baboon.

Seems like the effect of GB is slightly misunderstood.

Peps said:
While there is no definate ruling on it, my assumption is that it will not be able to revive itself (similar to Night Assailant).
Green Baboon is definitely able to revive itself (and only itself). The question is, *when* can its effect be activated.

Night Assailant cannot get itself out of the graveyard. Green Baboon can only get itself out of the graveyard.
Their effects are not even of the same type (mandatory trigger effect vs optional trigger effect). Add to that that the effect of NA can retrieve other monsters (which GB's effect cannot) and is only activated when the NA itself is sent to the graveyard, and you can see why the NA is not really a good example here.

densetsu_x said:
Plus the Judges at Nationals were told it cannot target itself, and in the OCG, it cannot target itself.
The effect of Green Baboon does not target.
And if it would, it could *only* target the GB.

CPMillerWV said:
The current resoning is that the the trigger effect activates while it's in the yard; or, hand. Since it was destroyed while on the field, it's effect can not activate.
The effect of GB can (only) be activated after the destroyed Beast-type monster is sent to the graveyard. For example, if Giant Rat is destroyed as a result of battle, if the player wants to activate both its effect and the effect of GB, then both effects form a chain.

HorusMaster said:
Another BKSS situation. Explain why Grandmaster can target itself but Green Baboon cannot. Anyone?
Because the effect of GB does not target.

@topic:
From the card text, GB's effect should be able to activate when GB is destroyed and sent to the graveyard. However, there's no ruling for it yet (OCG rulings don't count for the TCG), so it's more or less up to the judge to decide.
If I were to guess, then I'd say that UDE will probably rule it so that the effect of GB cannot be activated when only itself was destroyed and sent to the graveyard, because the people from UDE know how strong this card is and would rather have it a bit weaker. Des Counterblow, anyone?

Martok said:
Seems like the effect of GB is slightly misunderstood.

Green Baboon is definitely able to revive itself (and only itself). The question is, *when* can its effect be activated.
No, I think you misunderstand the question. NO doubt that it CAN revive it's self. The question was, can he revive himself when HE is the Beast being destroyed! And no, he can't.
Martok said:
Night Assailant cannot get itself out of the graveyard. Green Baboon can only get itself out of the graveyard.
Their effects are not even of the same type (mandatory trigger effect vs optional trigger effect). Add to that that the effect of NA can retrieve other monsters (which GB's effect cannot) and is only activated when the NA itself is sent to the graveyard, and you can see why the NA is not really a good example here.
This has no bearing on the question asked.

densetsu_x said:
Grandmaster just cares when himself is destroyed and further, he doesn't have to go to the Graveyard either to get his effect. So it is completely different than the mechanics of Green Baboon.

I disagree....if Grandmaster doesn't go to the graveyard prior to his effect, then how can he target himself as another Six Samurai unless he is already in the graveyard. If he isn't in the graveyard when the effect triggers and resolves, then another Six Samurai besides Grandmaster is the only legitimate target. I would think that the same should hold true for Green Baboon. I understand the power of this card but the effects are essentially the same.

HorusMaster said:
I disagree....if Grandmaster doesn't go to the graveyard prior to his effect, then how can he target himself as another Six Samurai unless he is already in the graveyard. If he isn't in the graveyard when the effect triggers and resolves, then another Six Samurai besides Grandmaster is the only legitimate target. I would think that the same should hold true for Green Baboon. I understand the power of this card but the effects are essentially the same.

Effects with different rulings that are essentially the same is what this game is all about :D

Regardless of anything, the ruling given at Nationals is the only semi-concrete rule we have thus far...

Yes, it has been presented, and I could swear it was answered, but I can't seem to locate that answer anymore....

The answer that Curtis initially gave (that I can't find now) was that it could not get itself.

AFAIK there's no ruling for it yet, at least not among the official sources (UDE FAQ, JCP Rules Forum)

CPMillerWV said:
NO doubt that it CAN revive it's self. The question was, can he revive himself when HE is the Beast being destroyed!
Congratulations, you have successfully repeated what I had posted just above you.

CPMillerWV said:
This has no bearing on the question asked.
If you cannot see it, then that doesn't mean it's not there.
Understanding the game mechanics behind the effect of GB is important. It determines which existing rulings can possibly be applied here.

Martok said:
AFAIK there's no ruling for it yet, at least not among the official sources (UDE FAQ, JCP Rules Forum)

Congratulations, you have successfully repeated what I had posted just above you.
Again, you missread. You read the first sentance or two and quit! AGAIN:
CPMillerWV said:
No, I think you misunderstand the question. NO doubt that it CAN revive it's self. The question was, can he revive himself when HE is the Beast being destroyed! And no, he can't.
The bold part is the main part of the post about GB. The INITAL post was:
drzero7 said:
Can Green Baboon target itself?

Say Green Baboon is on the field, and there is no other type of Beast Monster. It's destroyed (I don't know, Smashing, Saku, Mirror, etc.) Can you pay 1000LP to special summon itself. (Since Baboon is a Beast)
The point I was referring to is can he get himself from the yard when HE is the beast destroyed! Soooo:
Congratulations, you have successfully responded to something you missread.
Good greef. :? Again, for clarity, I am referring to the situation in the ORIGINAL post where it was asked if he can get himself out when HE is the beast destroyed. And no, he can not. You did not answer this asked question. I hope this is clear now.

Martok said:
If you cannot see it, then that doesn't mean it's not there.
Understanding the game mechanics behind the effect of GB is important. It determines which existing rulings can possibly be applied here.
is quoted to have said:
CPMillerWV is quoted to have said:
The effect of GB can (only) be activated after the destroyed Beast-type monster is sent to the graveyard. For example, if Giant Rat is destroyed as a result of battle, if the player wants to activate both its effect and the effect of GB, then both effects form a chain.

As I said, this has no bearing. It was NOT asked if some OTHER beast is destroyed, it was if HE is destroyed. There was no question abot ANY other beast! SO, your, for example has NO bearing. The question was about GB being destroyed.

Again, since you have worded this in such a mannor, Congratulations, you have successfully misread my post. I try and keep my responces toward the ORIGINAL question asked.

Sorry if I seem enraged; however, I feel you are not understanding my posts and hope this helps you see what I am referring to.

There's one thing I've noticed over my time that might have some bearing about underlying mechanics of the game.

Effects trigger and activate at SEPERATE times. For instance, Dark World monster's effect triggers upon the discard, but it cannot activate until Morphing Jar has finished resolving its effect. So in this case Grandmaster's effect will trigger while it is on the field, but Baboon's effect will trigger once it hits the graveyard, which opens up the doubt about whether it will trigger at all.

Dillie-O said:
There's one thing I've noticed over my time that might have some bearing about underlying mechanics of the game.

Effects trigger and activate at SEPERATE times. For instance, Dark World monster's effect triggers upon the discard, but it cannot activate until Morphing Jar has finished resolving its effect. So in this case Grandmaster's effect will trigger while it is on the field, but Baboon's effect will trigger once it hits the graveyard, which opens up the doubt about whether it will trigger at all.
Yes, Grandmaster of the Six Samurai says "when this card is destroyed by your opponent's card effect, add 2 "Six Samurai" monster from your graveyard to your hand. I would believe that he 'triggers' when it's destroyed on resolution of that card's 'effect'; so, he activates simultaneously on that cards resolution when he is destroyed/sent to the graveyard, his effect starts a chain wshich must wait to resolve until the chain that destroys himself resolves; so, when the effect starts a new chain, on resolution of that effect he is a valid target since he is in the yard.

However, Green Baboon's effect is "˜triggered' ONLY when he is in your hand or the graveyard. If HE is destroyed while on the field, his effect cannot activate because he is on the field and not in a zone where he can "˜see' the beast destruction.

Do you think that covers it? :huh

Back