Question on de-synchro

Chaos

All right, here I am again with another perplexing question.

De-Synchro states...

Select 1 face-up Synchro Monster. Return it to its owner's Extra Deck. Then, if all the monsters that were used for the Synchro Summon of that monster are in your Graveyard, you can Special Summon them.

My question is that, if I were to de-synchro my opponent's synchro monster, does he/she get to special summon the synchro material monsters to their side of the field? I am asking because there is no errata regarding the card, and the card itself says "your graveyard" so I'm assuming that if I have the same named synchro material monsters in my own graveyard, then I can special summon them to my side leaving my opponent without the synchro monster or the materials. There were old discussions about this card on the pojo forums, but it does not answer my question. They say that my opponent will get them back but there is no justification to their statements.

one more thing [random], if my opponent has stardust assault mode and i attempt to offer it and another monster they control for lava golem, they would not be able to negate it because the two monsters offered were a cost to activate right? I'm only asking because my friend is sure that he can still negate it with stardust assault mode.

Last edited:
The "your Graveyard" is important. You can only bring back the Synchro Material Monsters if it was your Synchro Monster.

If used on an opponent's Synchro Monster, all that happens is that they lose their monster. They can't get anything back in return, because the Synchro Material Monsters won't be in "your Graveyard".

Oh, and the Synchro Material Monsters that "De-Synchro" Summons must be the exact monsters that were used for the Synchro Summon. Not "monsters with the same name", the EXACT same monsters. And if one of them has been moved out of the Graveyard and back into it, it doesn't count because it "forgets" that it was a Synchro Material Monster when it was moved.

You can only Summon ALL of the Synchro Material Monsters. You cannot Summon just some, or as many as possible. It must be ALL of them.

Note that if you use it on a Synchro Monster that you Summoned but your opponent controls (e.g. through "Creature Swap"), then you will still be able to Summon the Synchro Material Monsters, because they are in your Graveyard.

"Lava Golem"'s Summon is a Summon. The only things that can chain to it (i.e. after Tributes, but before the Summon itself) are cards that can negate Summons. "Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode" cannot negate Summons (if it could, it would specifically say it could), and therefore cannot be used against "Lava Golem", even if it wasn't one of the Tributes.

And even if it COULD negate Summons, it has already been Tributed for "Lava Golem" by the time the opponent has a chance to respond to it (i.e. activate an anti-Summon card/effect). They couldn't use "Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode" in this case anyway.

Thanks for the help.

One more question though if you don't mind.

Regarding your response to Lava Golem...since golem is an effect monster, [based on your response] would the text on golem pertaining to how it is summoned not be considered part of its effect and is just the requirement for its summoning? Because there is text that specifically states that it must be summoned in a way that is not a normal summon or set, I assumed that it would be part of its effect. I realize that in both your and my scenarios, the conclusion is that stardust assault mode cannot stop a golem from hitting the field. What I am confused about is that there are two different ways it's being seen. I mean, I'm a certified level one judge, but some rulings take a depth to which even confuse me, which is why I'm here confirming and learning from the community here. I'd like to thank you Maruno for your helpful response, and hope that you or someone else can help me to better understand this new situation.

Long story short:

If the summoning of lava golem is considered to be its own effect activating, then startdust assault mode would not stop it [if it were one of the two monsters being tributed for the effect of lava golem] because the effect of Lava golem has a cost to pay and costs are paid at activation and if stardust assault mode is tributed as that cost, it would no longer be on the field to stop anything.

or...

The summoning of lava Golem is still treated as just a summon that stardust assault mode cannot negate (because it does not negate summons).

The first bit of "Lava Golem" describes Summoning restrictions and a Summoning method that is allowed by its effect. It's all part of its effect, but there are different kinds of effect.

Additional Summoning methods are different to, say, an Ignition effect. You activate an Ignition effect, but the additional Summoning method just allows you to perform some kind of weird Summon. Nothing's activated, nothing resolves, nothing uses the Chain. It's just a Summon.

When you Summon "Lava Golem", you aren't activating any effect (just like you don't activate "Jinzo"s effect - it just applies at a particular time). You simply perform the Summon, as you would a Normal or Tribute Summon or whatever. There's no "Cost and Effect" for Summons; it's just "Tribute then Summon".

Summons can only be responded to by Summon negators, which "Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode" isn't. In this case it doesn't matter whether "Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode" was one of the Tributed monsters or not - it simply cannot negate Summons.

Hope that clears things up a bit. You may also want to brush up on the types of monster effects: Ignition, Trigger, Continuous, Quick, FLIP: and Summoning Conditions.

Very helpful stuff Maruno. But I need to hijack this thread a bit. heh

On the bit regarding stardust/AM....

The YGO wikia says that stardust dragon's effect that negates Spell/trap/effect monster's effect that destroys a card(s) cannot be chained to speed spell three cards. Does this also apply to stardust/AM?

The effect of "Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode" that negates card effects is a Quick effect. This means it is Spell Speed 2, and can chain to anything except Counter Trap Cards (which are Spell Speed 3).

No Monster Card can ever have an effect that can be chained to a Counter Trap Card. If a Monster Card effect looks like it negates something, it's a Quick effect and it's Spell Speed 2.

Back