Updated Metamorphosis Ruling

This now supercedes what was answered as a Mailing List question.

"Metamorphosis":

If you activated "Soul Exchange" targeting your opponent's monster, if the monster is face-down, you cannot Tribute it as a cost for "Metamorphosis".

So no more worrying about "fizzling". You as the player must know the level of the monster in order to activate Metamorphosis (so that you can't activate it when you don't have the right fusion level).

Yeah both I already knew about and ruled that way anyway. But hey, it's nice to know that it's official! Thanks for letting everyone know Andrew. =)

EDIT: I should have stated I knew about the cards not the rulings....sorry for the confusion.

It was ruled the other way until just a bit ago. While we all may have our beliefs and reasons for them it's important that we rule by what is official so that all playing the game are at least on the same page.

Rules will change and errata made and it's our job to inform our local players of those changes. Until such changes are made though stick with the current rulings please.

I didn't know about the Metamorphosis and Soul Exchange ruling for face down monsters. =/ I just assumed that if Metamorphosis doesn't know the definate level of the monster you can't use Metamorphosis with that face down monster. But I know John, I try and use the official rulings as much as possible because it's important as judges to help maintain the structure of the game right? In way I consider us to be maintainance crews working to keep a power plant working so it can give power to all the homes in a city. =)

It's not to say we shouldn't question the rulings or help in bringing about change. We can and should certainly do so. We shouldn't, however, take it upon ourselves to instruct our local players in the way we think the game should be played or when they go to other areas and large tournaments out of our area they'll be throwing lightning bolts when they get back home!

It is important that we as close to being on the same page as possible regardless of weather we "think" the ruling as it stands is correct or not.

Yeah I know, stuff like this I try and uphold. Sometimes it's hard when a ruling is hazzy in understanding and I try to explain it in a way that the player of a certain age can understand. I am only 19, but I try my best and even high level judges make mistakes. (I'll be one of them, just you watch! xD)

For example someone in a tournament of mine was using Soul Release wrong. He was removing a total of 5 cards all together from both graveyards instead of from one and not both. I spend the next ten minutes explaining it to the player that was attempting to use it wrong on the wording for the card text. Naturally I would agree that at first glance this card can be misleading, but reading more closely and slowly for that matter can help break down the card's meaning.

"Select up to 5 cards" that part is very very basic. You can easily do that but the next part is what was hardest for me to get the player to understand. The word "either" was what he was confused on. Either is a singular word if I am not mistaken and that means one or the other and not both. So the next following words were "you or your opponent's" which to me clears up the part about the word "either" so it defines its own meaning from its own card wording. Which is pretty cool and I wish a lot more cards I come across are like that. That's just one way I've explained the card text to someone without blowing a myself up on the poor guy. After I explained it about five times to him and used my above example in asking him if the word "either" is singular, he said yes, and single means one right? So then he caught on fast after that and proceeded to continue the game.

Sometimes as judges we do have to explain it more than once in a different way. Because one explaination may be more of what someone can understand than another explaination. Heck, I am sure some of us can agree on that when started playing the game and got into it more.

=) Like Chaosruler's sig says, "Teach a Judge mechanics and they'll rule for life." I plan on doing that as long as Yu-Gi-Oh! is a hobby of mine and as long as it's popular enough.

Yeah I wish more of these cards were used in my area at my tournament. They use mostly Attribute decks, warriors, and beatdowns. A little weak you could say but I wish more Cookie Cutters were here actually. I find making rulings for those situations a little more fun. Also Fusions are rare here, I mean, very rare. Thousand Eyes Restrict probably is the most common one, yes and that means it's more common than Dark Blade the Dragon Knight.

=) Soon you guys will be seeing me around in events and stuff hopefully so I can learn and help discuss these kinds of issues.

Tkwiget said:
Yeah I know, stuff like this I try and uphold. Sometimes it's hard when a ruling is hazzy in understanding and I try to explain it in a way that the player of a certain age can understand. I am only 19, but I try my best and even high level judges make mistakes. (I'll be one of them, just you watch! xD)

For example someone in a tournament of mine was using Soul Release wrong. He was removing a total of 5 cards all together from both graveyards instead of from one and not both. I spend the next ten minutes explaining it to the player that was attempting to use it wrong on the wording for the card text. Naturally I would agree that at first glance this card can be misleading, but reading more closely and slowly for that matter can help break down the card's meaning.

"Select up to 5 cards" that part is very very basic. You can easily do that but the next part is what was hardest for me to get the player to understand. The word "either" was what he was confused on. Either is a singular word if I am not mistaken and that means one or the other and not both. So the next following words were "you or your opponent's" which to me clears up the part about the word "either" so it defines its own meaning from its own card wording. Which is pretty cool and I wish a lot more cards I come across are like that. That's just one way I've explained the card text to someone without blowing a myself up on the poor guy. After I explained it about five times to him and used my above example in asking him if the word "either" is singular, he said yes, and single means one right? So then he caught on fast after that and proceeded to continue the game.

Sometimes as judges we do have to explain it more than once in a different way. Because one explaination may be more of what someone can understand than another explaination. Heck, I am sure some of us can agree on that when started playing the game and got into it more.

I may have misread this but from what you are saying Soul Release can only remove from one graveyard. I don't know if there is a ruling on the official site but I have always ruled and played that it can remove up to 5 cards from both graveyards. An example being 2 from one graveyard and 3 from the other. I do believe this was discussed on the old judges forum. Thats where the ruling came from.

Actually I disagree on that Fiendish, I think that Metamorposis and the Mechanics of the game requires it to know what level the monster is. If it does then you can activate Metamorphosis. I don't know, I might be thinking too hard on that. =/

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Judge's List said:
Do you have to remove exactly 5 cards or can you remove less than that? Also is it possible to remove 2 cards from your graveyard and 3 cards in your opponent's graveyard (or any combo) with Soul Release? Thank you very much!

Answer:
Yes, it is possible to remove cards from your Graveyard AND the opponent's Graveyard (or just your Graveyard, or just the opponent's Graveyard) from play.

Steve Okegawa
Official UDE Netrepâ„¢ Rules Coordinator
Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG
steve_okegawa@netrep.net

[/font]there's the Judge's List question. Asked and answered.

-chaosruler

Well what the...John K. I was pretty sure that a couple level 2 judges explained to me that Soul Release can only affect one Graveyard. =/

Danker is right, being as accurate as possible is a good thing. Lucky for me that's when I didn't have a lot of faith in myself as a Judge..xD Now I'll probably get that right this time.

EDIT: The judges were from Realms btw...sorry if I was insulting you John K.

Back