Voltanis the Aggravator

Digital Jedi

Administrator
Staff member
Couple of things have got me wigged out about this joker:

Seems the FAQ is unclear as to when Voltanis the Adjudicator's Special Summon occurs. I know we stated here that he Special Summons himself after the current chain resolves. Over at Pojo it's being passed around that he Special Summons himself as soon as the Counter Trap resolves. Even if that's mid-chain. The FAQ would seem to support that line of thinking.

Another questions that came up was the whole "activate and resolve" issue once again. If the Counter Trap your using is Magic Drain and your opponent discards a Spell Card to negate the effect, wouldn't that mean that Magic Drain does not resolve, and therefore not meet the requirements for Voltanis' summon?

I have always "ruled" and believed that Voltanis gets summoned as soon as the Counter Trap finishes resolving regardless of it being in mid-chain. Just one of those thingies Konami does.

On the Magic Drain situation, I don't think it matter, I see it as it only negating the effect but the activation and resolution of it still go through.

"Magic Drain"s effect may be negated, but the activation/resolution is not. I think of it similar to the way that Equip Cards still resolve even if they're destroyed before they resolve (i.e. "Spirit Reaper" vs. "Snatch Steal" vs. "Mystical Space Typhoon"). I could be wrong, though.

This thread is Digital Jedi's post #6,666.

It would appear Voltanis has an effect similar to Dark Necrofear, in that it never activates; it just resolves onto the field. Bearing that in mind, I don't see any real reason why it couldn't insert itself into the chain.

I know we stated here that he Special Summons himself after the current chain resolves.
If I remember correctly, that was me that said that based off information obtained at Nationals. I believe I also retracted that statement based off the fact I completely misunderstood what I was told....lol.

"Voltanis the Adjudicator" can/will be Special Summoned mid-chain as soon as your Counter Trap resolves. His destruction effect is what will wait until the chain finishes resolving, since it's apparently a Mandatory Trigger despite the fact it uses the words 'can destroy'.

Now, for "Magic Drain", let's look at the text shall we...
UDE FAQ said:
You can activate this card when your opponent activates a Spell Card. Your opponent can discard 1 Spell Card from his/her hand to negate the effect of this card. If your opponent does not, negate the activation of the Spell Card of your opponent and destroy it.
I have bolded the relevant part. If the opponent discards a Spell Card, then it doesn't negate the activation or resolution of "Magic Drain". It only negates the effect of "Magic Drain". So either way, you're gonna get to Special Summon "Voltanis the Adjudicator" when "Magic Drain" resolves.

Hope this helps!

slither said:
To be completely fair that's not an effect, that is just a summoning requirement.
Well now, thank you for that correction.

Darn it. @_@ I was certain I had read somewhere that chaos special summons and the like WERE effects, but didn't activate; they only resolved onto the field. Of course, that was over a year ago when I read that. But can someone please reassure me that used to be the case so I don't feel completely stupid?

Jason_C said:
Well now, thank you for that correction.

Darn it. @_@ I was certain I had read somewhere that chaos special summons and the like WERE effects, but didn't activate; they only resolved onto the field. Of course, that was over a year ago when I read that. But can someone please reassure me that used to be the case so I don't feel completely stupid?

It has often been stated that the chaos special summon monsters summon themselves via their own "effect".

Skey23 said:
I have bolded the relevant part. If the opponent discards a Spell Card, then it doesn't negate the activation or resolution of "Magic Drain". It only negates the effect of "Magic Drain". So either way, you're gonna get to Special Summon "Voltanis the Adjudicator" when "Magic Drain" resolves.
Not that I doubt you or anything. :D But has this come up before Voltanis, so that were pretty sure of it? I have no doubt that it doesn't negate the activation of Magic Drain. But it's, specifically, the resolution that piquing my doubt.

Digital Jedi said:
Not that I doubt you or anything. :D But has this come up before Voltanis, so that were pretty sure of it? I have no doubt that it doesn't negate the activation of Magic Drain. But it's, specifically, the resolution that piquing my doubt.
Yes! Well, sort of.
"Spirit Reaper" is destroyed by its own effect after a card that targets it resolves. ... If the effect of the Spell Card was negated, such as if "Imperial Order" is active, then "Spirit Reaper" is destroyed because the Spell Card resolves (even though its effect is negated).
This ruling on Spirit Reaper shows that it is possible for a card to have its effect negated but still resolve. Bearing that in mind, there's no reason to assume that Magic Drain's text means anything other than exactly what it says.

Kyhotae said:
Since when does "Dark Necrofear"s effect not activate? It activates as soon as it's destroyed by an effect or battle and sent to the Graveyard...
You mean it activates during the End Phase of the turn that it's destroyed by an opponent's card effect or in battle. =)

Kyhotae said:
Nope. That's when it resolves.
Oh really?

Dark Necrofear said:
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by removing from play 3 Fiend-Type monsters in your Graveyard. If this card is destroyed as a result of battle or by your opponent's card effect while it is a Monster Card, it is treated as an Equip Card during the End Phase of this turn, and equip 1 of your opponent's monsters with this card. As long as it is equipped with this card, you control the equipped monster.

And one of it's rulings.

Dark Necrofear ruling said:
If your "Dark Necrofear" is destroyed on your opponent's side of the field, by either player's card effect, it will not activate during the End Phase. It must be on your side of the field and sent to your Graveyard when it is destroyed for its effect to activate.
Looks like it activates during the End Phase to me.

I think the "Divine Wrath" ruling says it best...
UDE FAQ said:
You can activate "Divine Wrath" when "Dark Necrofear" activates its effect in the Graveyard during the End Phase, and since a monster in the Graveyard cannot be destroyed, "Dark Necrofear" is not destroyed by a card effect, so its effect does not activate again.

Back