YGO Articles & Guides

I would first like to thank everyone who has contributed to the articels section of CoG, and for putting their time and efffort into keeping this area alive. Some of you may not know that we are currently taking submissions for articles to be made viewable at the Netrepâ„¢ website. So just to give those of you who didn't already know a heads up on the opportunity, heres the link to the submssion guidlines: http://www.netrep.net/articles.htm We're looking for the best and brightest, and having a chance to have your articles on Neterp is a opportunity to have it read by the majotiy of the Yu-Gi-Oh! community, as everyone and their grandma knows about neterp.net. :cog_roll Thanks again everyone. And thanks for tuning in.
The Battle Phase is the most complex of all Yu-Gi-Oh! phases. This is the phase where the Game Mechanics can be very confusing to a beginner. This article will help readers understand the Game Mechanics of the entire Battle Phase. Examples of cards that activate in each step will be included. This article will be beneficial to game developers and Yu-Gi-Oh! players. Game developers will understand the control flow of the Game Mechanics, while players can use each step to their advantage. For example, activating “Call of the Haunted” during Battle Phase can give it some protection by “Trap Jammer”. Another example is if you are about to battle a set “Man Eater Bug” or “Penguin Soldier”, attack the set monster with one of your monsters...
Crossed Souls Card List courtesy Yu-Gi-Oh! Wikia: Set number Name Rarity Category CROS-EN000 Sea Dragoons of Draconia Pendulum Monster CROS-EN001 Normal Monster CROS-EN002 "Performapal" monster Effect Monster CROS-EN003 "Performapal" monster Effect Monster CROS-EN004 "Performapal" monster Pendulum Monster CROS-EN005 "Performapal" monster Effect Monster CROS-EN006 "Superheavy Samurai" monster Effect Monster CROS-EN007 "Superheavy Samurai" monster Effect Monster CROS-EN008 "Superheavy Samurai" monster Tuner monster CROS-EN009 "Superheavy Samurai" monster Effect Monster CROS-EN010 "Melodious" monster Effect Monster CROS-EN011 "Fluffal" monster Effect Monster CROS-EN012 "Edge Imp" monster Effect Monster...
# +X/-X Card advantage in a strictly numerical sense. "+" standing for positive card advantage and "-" standing for negative card advantage. (e.g. Attributing Summoning Mobius the Frost Monarch to destroy two Spell/Trap Cards is considered even card advantage; 2/2. Whereas discarding a card for Magic Jammer to negate a Spell Card is considered a two for one disadvantage; -2/+1) A activation conditions The situation or set of conditions necessary to properly activate a card. (e.g. Bottomless Trap Hole can only be activated when your opponent successfully summons a monster, that monster has 1500 ATK or more and the monster is still on the field prior to activation. If none of these conditions exist, then it cannot be...
"When you can" Three of the most misunderstood words in Yu-Gi-Oh! are the words "When you can". Why would three such seemingly innocuous words be the cause for so much confusion? Because they distinguish a type of Trigger Effect that Yu-Gi-Oh! players the world over often have trouble understanding. The Optional Trigger Effect. These three words also share space with another often misapplied and misunderstood phrase. "Missing the timing." It's not a wonder that they get confused. Many of our rulings covering such effects are rather wordy, sometimes being overly precise so as to avoid loopholes. But the principles demarcating Optional Trigger Effects from Mandatory Trigger Effects is quite simple once laid out for a player to...
A step back – understanding Dimension Wall Dimension wall is one of those cards that confuses both players and judges alike. The reason for this is simple, it doesn’t follow the mainstream mechanics for how a card normally works. I’ll try to make it easy to understand by first comparing it to a card you are probably already familiar with, Last Will. What does Last Will have in common with dimension wall? Both cards set up a state of game play where by, after the card itself has resolved, their effect can/will be used later in the turn. Lets step back and take a look at the wording on dimension wall for a second: “Normal Trap You can only activate this card when your opponent declares an attack with a monster. Instead of you...
I suppose it's time to step onto dangerous ground (journalistically speaking) and cover a more controversial subject. Today I'm going to dive into one of the most heated and debated subjects in the history of Yu-Gi-Oh!. I think it's time to get to the bottom of an age-old battle: Are Yu-Gi-Oh! champions successful because of Luck, Money or Skill? I'll cover all the angles, I’ll look at all the options, and I'm going to guarantee up-front that you won't like the results. From Merriam-Webster: Luck 1 a : a force that brings good fortune or adversity b : the events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual Anyone who wants to deny the presence of luck in a card game is nuts. However, just how big the role...
This is something that has been bugging me on several boards for a few months now, and it's just silly. I am getting sick and tired of all the focus and obsession on the concept of total card presence, or TCP, to simplify things. For the 4 people out there not aware of what TCP means, it's simple. It's the number of cards you have in your hand and on the field as compared to the number of cards your opponent has in hand and on the field. If you have 2 in hand, a monster, and a set s/t, and your opponent had 3 in hand, a set monster, and two set s/t's, your opponent is said to have "+2" on you, as you have 4 TCP, and they have 6 TCP. This term and play concept had been bandied about as of late as if it's some kind of holy scripture on...
To paraphrase Ben Grimm "“ what a revoltin' development. The newest structure deck is arguably the most popular one released. But is it worth it? Let's take a closer look. The new cards"¦ First off, we see that there is new Machine support. But more specifically, we see new "˜Ancient Gear' support as well. Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon Here's the box art card; the big hitter of the deck. Unlike most of the other "˜Ancient Gear' monsters, he can be Special Summoned. He does, however, have the same "your opponent cannot activate any Spell or Trap cards until the end of the Damage Step" ability, and that's a huge plus. And after looking at the effect, why would you want to Special Summon him? By tributing one of the new Gadgets (see...
Greetings! Fall is in the air and the Regional season is on the threshold. You've spent all summer working on your rulings and mechanics knowledge. Much to your satisfaction, you passed your Level 1 test and have been able to get in contact with the local TO to judge the upcoming regional tournament. Congratulations are in order. While some may say it is no big deal to have your Level 1 certification, the time, effort, and desire to judge at a regional is definitely something worthwhile. This will be a memorable time indeed. While there are numerous articles and threads around here about judging, most of them focus on the "software" or the mentality involved with judging. While this is very important, there is also a "hardware" side...
With all the Regionals posts about conflicts with other players and "bad judging" I thought I might offer some suggestions. 1. Review the Players Handbook You might laugh, but this is a good "refresher", since it's a good chance that we haven't read it in a year or two. Pay attention to stuff like the Battle Phase chart and other detailed sections. Review the spell speed charts. Don't overlook common/easy stuff. Yoyo always chains a Trap or QP spell to an opponent's RoD to prevent his opponent from chaing BBtD to it. 2. Review Appendix A: Yu-Gi-Oh! Policies You can find this PDF on the UDE web site or click on: http://www.upperdeckentertainment.c...ioh_policy.aspx. There's no excuse for not knowing these rules and policies. 3. Review...
Under the advice of a moderator, I post this here. The list of unrevivable special summon monsters (AKA Nomi) from the JERP: Great Angel Zeraht (e. Archlord Zerato) Devil Mazera (e. Mazera DeVille) Magic Hierophant of Black (e. Sorcerer of Dark Magic) Black Executioner (e. not in English) Blue Eyes Shining Dragon (e. Blue-Eyes Shining Dragon) Red Eyes Darkness Dragon (e. Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon) Master Monk (e. Master Monk) Vampire Genesis (e. Vampire Genesis) Sea Dragon God - Neo Daidaros (e. Ocean Dragon Lord - Neo-Daedalus) Armed Dragon LV10 (e. not in English) E-HERO Bubbleman Neo (e. not in English) Divine Flame Emperor - Uria (e. not in English) Descending Thunder Emperor - Hamon (e. not in English) Phantom Emperor - Ravel (e...
Imagine your self, feeling confident in your duel. You just had your monstrous "Jinzo" attacked your opponent's last Goat Token. You scan the Field. Your "Jinzo" is the only existing card on the playing Field. You look at your opponent. He is holding a single card in his hand. You were in control as you end your turn. Your opponent drew. What is this? He had a smirk on his face. What could he have drawn? Then in an instant, the playing field was soaked with salt water, almost drowning your helpless "Jinzo". You realized your opponent just activated "A Legendary Ocean". You let it resolves as the waves settle down. Then out of the deep blue ocean splashed a gigantic fish. "Terrorking Salmon" was summoned to battle. You felt helpless as...
Wrote this when the ban list came out so...here ya go. ----------------- Angelic Inspiration: Who's Top Dog? By FallenAngel Ding Dong the Witch is Dead! With the banning of Chaos Sorcerer recently, many people cheered with joy now that the Chaos era is over and done with, no longer will we here the words "Remove 1 light and 1 dark from play". But now that the Sorcerer is gone, who will emerge to take his place? With Chimeratech OTK being run rampant as well as Stein Abuse, they're both still strong contenders, but we also have others that are following close behind. Will the Monarchs rise up and make their second comeback? Will Bazoo Return and Warrior Tool-box still be in the fight? It's hard to say because new ideas are popping...
This s my first article so I thought I start things off By explaining how to build a strong and successful deck There are three rules every successful deck must follow 1. Usage of playable monsters 2. Supporting your deck with spells 3. Addressing your decks weakness with the usage of traps Now before I start I state that I will be preparing a cookie cutter due to the fact that anybody reading this article is seeking help Stage 1: the deck skeleton First of all it is necessary to add in the staples first and To people who don't know what a staple is I will explain a staple is a card Essential for any deck Spell staples. 1.Pot of greed..................(one extra card wont hurt) 2.Graceful charity..............(an alternation to...
For easy Printing on a single page. Colour coded for noticeable changes. -Fixed Header problem. -Fixed Colour fo Ring of Destrution -Forced "Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning" to one line
Duelist on the Street Article #4 - Deck Strategy Overview: Burn Well, welcome to the preamble of this weeks article! As mabye some of you know by now, I'm an official Netrepâ„¢ writer [thanks again Jathro], and I promise I will try to be punctual with my articles. Also, this article I'm going to do a new type of article for me: the deck strategy overview! In this type of article I will show you how a certain deck works and show you its weaknesses and some possible solutions [a message to the vets out there: input would be appreciated] to those weaknesses. I will also show you how that strategy's branch decks [a deck that relates to a theme but not what is usually expected (ex. Fire Princess burn)] work. As you can see, this weeks...
Angelic Inspiration: Watching the Stars Ever look at the sky and see that bright, twinkling star? No, I'm not talking about the North Star. I am talking about the really bright, flashing one "“ the one that isn't really a star at all, but a satellite. Now if I wanted to use my imagination, I'd make it a satellite with a giant cannon attached to it that can shoot my opponent and make his life point count go to 0. But honestly, what are the odds of that happening? Oh wait, its going to happen pretty soon! With Kevin's big statement about all the new cards coming to a local store near you, countless new ideas are being thrown around. Well, in this explosive discussion, Satellite Cannon was worked in, and my mouth dropped and I started...
Angelic Inspiration: Fulfill My Destiny (EOJ) Hello ladies and gents, continuing the talk about Enemy of Justice, and what new cards and deck types it has to bring to us, I will be discussing with you about the heroes of destiny, or Destiny Heroes. How ironic, eh? Let us begin! Destiny Hero "“ Diamond Dude (Dark) **** [Warrior/Effect] Once per turn you may reveal the top card of your deck. If that card is a normal magic card, send it to the graveyard then during the main phase of your next turn you may activate the effect of that card. If the revealed card is not a normal magic card then place it on the bottom of your deck. This effect can only be activated once per turn. ATK/1400 DEF/1600 Now this card isn't that hard...
Hello ladies and gents, and welcome to this week's article. Hopefully everyone had a great time at the sneak preview event this past weekend, I know I did. If you didn't go, you're missing out, there are some great cards to look at! There are a few new magic and traps I looked at in particular, they focus on the power of the Different Dimension First off lets start with the trap. When I first glanced at Macro Cosmos, I didn't really think twice about it, I mean I didn't plan on running Helios "“ The Primordial Sun. But when I say its second effect I began to think. How many cards do we have that can help its effect? I mean, what if I ran heavy hitters along with cards like Magical Merchant, Graceful Charity, The Cheerful Coffin, in...
Back